reinstall or remove lilo from master boot record?

reinstall or remove lilo from master boot record?

Post by Tariq MAL » Thu, 02 Feb 1995 16:09:11

I have got three partitions on my hard disk, /dev/hda1 (dos), /dev/hda2 (swap) a
nd /dev/hda3 (Linux). Few days ago system crashed. After that I could not boot L
inux. I reinstalled linux (1.1.59 kernel) from scratch.

I installed full slackware release but It dosen't gives me an option to reconfig
ure lilo. Previously system used to come up with the dual boot prompt. Now it co
mes up with

  LI

and then it hangs. If I put the boot disk in A drive then it boots. Once booted
I can mount the hard disk and check my /mnt/etc/lilo.conf file (it is there). I
tried to reconfigure with /mnt/sbin/liloconfig but it says cannot access device
0x????.

I reinstalled the system again (making sure lilo is installed). refomated /dev/h
da2 and /dev/hda3. But the setup menu never asks to set lilo and liloconfig dose
n't execute completely.

Any help will be appritiated. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Tariq Malik

1. Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record

I was using Linux; however, I'm giving my computer to a friend, and he
wants to use DOS.  So I repartitioned my hard drive (using DOS's
FDISK).  Then I reformatted my hard drive (using DOS's FORMAT).  Now
when I try to boot off the hard drive, I get the following:

        LILO Loading Linux..........
        No setup signature found...

Then the computer hangs.  It seems to me that my FDISKing and
FORMATing failed to modify in the right way the master boot record (I
could be wrong about this).

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

2. .htaccess question

3. Removing LILO from Master Boot Record

4. How to set Proxy? Use Netscape on Linux machine networked to WINDOWS machine?

5. Removing LILO from the master boot record

6. SCO OS5 bug and Progress

7. Removing a Master boot record from the wrong partitoin ?!

8. Solaris version of NFSWATCH

9. LILO in my Master Boot Record? HELP

10. LILO in Master Boot Record Problem (new?)

11. master boot record -- LILO ATTACK

12. delCMOS.B, master boot record, lilo

13. Help! LILO overwrote my master boot record