lossing chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd setting after reboot

lossing chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd setting after reboot

Post by David. E. Gob » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 14:56:16

Hi All;

I set pppd with chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd, as root So my users can dial
out and it works. Until I reboot the computer. Then the setting is
lost.

Whats wrong????

Also I have set up inn as a newsreader, with pine. But can not figure
out how to set it up so I do not have to start innd after very reboot.
--Regards       David. E. Goble
             goble [AT] kin.net.au
          http://www.kin.net.au/goble
Po Box 648 Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA 5223

lossing chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd setting after reboot

Post by Vilmos Sot » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 15:47:07

Quote:> I set pppd with chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd, as root So my users can dial
> out and it works. Until I reboot the computer. Then the setting is
> lost.
> Also I have set up inn as a newsreader, with pine. But can not figure
> out how to set it up so I do not have to start innd after very reboot.

Tell us which distro you use, and then somebody can help you out.
Without this info we cannot give you a nice solution which actually
doesn't*up your distribution.

Vilmos

lossing chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd setting after reboot

Post by Techtoni » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It's probably because when pppd is started it is spawned by one of the
system accounts....just go into your init.d scripts and add a line in that
spawns it as root as opposed to whatever user is spawning it....

Quote:> Hi All;

> I set pppd with chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd, as root So my users can dial
> out and it works. Until I reboot the computer. Then the setting is
> lost.

> Whats wrong????

> Also I have set up inn as a newsreader, with pine. But can not figure
> out how to set it up so I do not have to start innd after very reboot.
> --Regards       David. E. Goble
>              goble [AT] kin.net.au
>           http://www.kin.net.au/goble
> Po Box 648 Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA 5223

lossing chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd setting after reboot

Post by Bit Twist » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Kinda help to post the OS.
There are several "linuxes"  Red Hat, Slackware, SuSE, Debian, Mandrake,
Caldera, Corel, Yellow Lab, Black Lab, WinLinux, PhatLinux, Linux On A
Floppy, slinux, Trinux, (Rock, Armed, Stampede, Tiny. Power, Coyote) Linux

Well if you are using Redhat or Mandrake use
linuxconf
to set the protection on the file.

Quote:>Hi All;

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

Post by Lew Pitche » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi All;

> I set pppd with chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd, as root So my users can dial
> out and it works. Until I reboot the computer. Then the setting is
> lost.

> Whats wrong????

Some distributions include a utility that (when invoked at startup)
resets the permissions on certain critical files. That's all the
detail I know (except for one more thing: Slackware doesn't do this),
so you are going to have to tell us which distro you are using, and
we'll have to get the gurus involved.

Quote:> Also I have set up inn as a newsreader, with pine. But can not figure
> out how to set it up so I do not have to start innd after very reboot.

I can answer this one: add the command to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local (or
equivalent) startup script.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

lossing chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd setting after reboot

Post by David. E. Gob » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:32:31

Hi all;

Sorry, Iam running redhat 6.2. If I login as root on tty1 and login as
root on tty4, and setuid from tty4, then exit/reboot cause this.

As I was runng linuxconf on tty1 (to veiw the mail que[?]) and testing
users email account on tty2. So as I did not want to waste time
waiting for my old 486 to exit out of linuxconf then rerun it, I
relogin thru tty4.

--Regards       David. E. Goble
             goble [AT] kin.net.au
          http://www.kin.net.au/goble
Po Box 648 Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA 5223

lossing chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd setting after reboot

Post by John » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:36:01

Quote:> Hi all;
> Sorry, Iam running redhat 6.2. If I login as root on tty1 and login as
> root on tty4, and setuid from tty4, then exit/reboot cause this.
> As I was runng linuxconf on tty1 (to veiw the mail que[?]) and testing
> users email account on tty2. So as I did not want to waste time
> waiting for my old 486 to exit out of linuxconf then rerun it, I
> relogin thru tty4.

I've heard of linuxconf doing this to people. I don't run linuxconf;-)

--

Post by Bill Unr » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:33:56

]> Hi all;

]> Sorry, Iam running redhat 6.2. If I login as root on tty1 and login as
]> root on tty4, and setuid from tty4, then exit/reboot cause this.

]> As I was runng linuxconf on tty1 (to veiw the mail que[?]) and testing
]> users email account on tty2. So as I did not want to waste time
]> waiting for my old 486 to exit out of linuxconf then rerun it, I
]> relogin thru tty4.

]I've heard of linuxconf doing this to people. I don't run linuxconf;-)

If you click on
"preview what has to be done"
you will see one of the lines
Changing permissions of file /usr/sbin/pppd from 105755 to 104755
which removes suid. It is totally stupid.
DO NOT CLICK ON "Activate Changes" All it does is cause trouble.
Just Quit.
This is one aspect of Linuxconf that is just plain stupid.
I have severe doubts that the writers of linuxconf actually know
anything about security. I know that the people at redhat do not. They
make pppd not suid root, when it is almost useless without that, and
then they make a whole bunch of games suid root.

lossing chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd setting after reboot

Post by David. E. Gob » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>I've heard of linuxconf doing this to people. I don't run linuxconf;-)

Hi John;

For me, linuxconf has worked when I was only logged on as root. So I
assumed that the problem was caused by beginning logged on as another
user on another tty, at the same time...

--Regards       David. E. Goble
             goble [AT] kin.net.au
          http://www.kin.net.au/goble
Po Box 648 Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, SA 5223

1. /usr/sbin/traceroute ha1 ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute: not found

/usr/sbin/traceroute ha1
ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute:  not found

The system is System = SunOS
Node = xxx.ddd.com
Release = 5.6
KernelID = Generic_105181-15
Machine = sun4u

How? Why?  I have traceroute on SunOS 5.7

download it and compile it like the way
a c compiler and gzip were missing!
Can it be true?

--
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

2. Installing on Compaq laptop

3. chmod 2711 /usr/sbin/sendmail

4. Problems booting after kernel make

5. What is this?: /USR/SBIN/CRON[492]: (mail) CMD ( if [ -x /usr/sbin/exim ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q >/dev/null 2>&1; fi)

6. S-x86; Error Compiling X11 program 2.5 x86

7. /usr/sbin/pppd does not exist or is not executable

8. SCSI IOMEGA Zip Configuration

9. help with /sbin and /usr/sbin permissions

10. Slackware and /usr/sbin/sbin/

11. dangerous permissions on /sbin and /usr/sbin

12. Q:How to get /sbin,/usr/sbin back into $PATH...

13. error in compiling /usr/src/usr.sbin