Win95 killed lilo

Post by Stan Mulde » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Bear with me. I've been using Linux for a few months now.

I periodically reinstall Win95 when it gets unstable, about every three
months. This time I have Redhat 5.1 also installed and my latest
reinstall of Windows has killed lilo. Nothing I do seems to get me into
Linux.

I've tried booting off of floppy (and cdrom) using the included Redhat
boot disk and typing "linux root=/dev/hda5" at the lilo prompt, but it's
not working. I also created a boot disk when I was prompted to during
the initial Redhat install, but booting off it ends up with a "cannot
open console" error.

How can I get this working again without reinstalling Linux?

Email appreciated.

Stan

Win95 killed lilo

Post by Stephen Bisho » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Stan,
    I had a similar problem when installing S.u.S.E. Linux.  Installing
Window 95 rewrites the MBR and wipes out what LiLo wrote here.
I was able to get around the problem by reinstalling LiLo, which rewrote the
MBR.
    Hope this will help you.

> Bear with me. I've been using Linux for a few months now.

> I periodically reinstall Win95 when it gets unstable, about every three
> months. This time I have Redhat 5.1 also installed and my latest
> reinstall of Windows has killed lilo. Nothing I do seems to get me into
> Linux.

> I've tried booting off of floppy (and cdrom) using the included Redhat
> boot disk and typing "linux root=/dev/hda5" at the lilo prompt, but it's
> not working. I also created a boot disk when I was prompted to during
> the initial Redhat install, but booting off it ends up with a "cannot
> open console" error.

> How can I get this working again without reinstalling Linux?

> Email appreciated.

> Stan

Win95 killed lilo

Post by Ford Prefe » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

spewed out the following sometime during Thu, 03 Sep 1998 01:48:27
-0400,:

Quote:>Bear with me. I've been using Linux for a few months now.

>I periodically reinstall Win95 when it gets unstable, about every three
>months. This time I have Redhat 5.1 also installed and my latest
>reinstall of Windows has killed lilo. Nothing I do seems to get me into
>Linux.

>I've tried booting off of floppy (and cdrom) using the included Redhat
>boot disk and typing "linux root=/dev/hda5" at the lilo prompt, but it's
>not working. I also created a boot disk when I was prompted to during
>the initial Redhat install, but booting off it ends up with a "cannot
>open console" error.

>How can I get this working again without reinstalling Linux?

>Email appreciated.

>Stan

Simply reinstall LILO. Had the same prob recently. Where u get SuSE???
Magazine?

1. win95 killed lilo on scsi drive. Please help!

Well, I just recently got win95 going, after about 8 hours of hardware
problems.  I decided to do a few things in linux, so I tried booting, and
NOPE!

Details:

I'm using 1.3.14 and have a 2940W w/st15150W.  Everything works perfectly
till after installing win95.

I use bootmanager from OS2/Warp.  I have my msdos/win95 and linux
partitions on the bootmanager list.

After installing win95 I successfully reactivated bootmanager.

Linux comes up with the first line(something like 'Lilo Loading vmlinuz').

Usually some '....' appear after that and it decompresses it into memory,
but it stops there.  Just a hang, not a halt.  I can reboot and numlock
goes on/off.

I tried using my bootdisk that I made, it goes fine until after
partitions check when it tries to mount root:

<....(partitions>
< more parts >
< more>
[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 0, check=n,conv=n,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022,bmap]
[me=0x0, cs=0,#f=0,fs=0,f1=0,ds=0,de=0,data=0,se=0,ts=0,ls=0]
Transaction block size 512k
HPFS: hpfs_read_super: Not HPFS

---

This is the message is gives.

I have the slackware setup disks from ftp.infomagic.com and can at least
access my scsi drive.  I can mount all my drives successfully and a
e2fsck on them yield an 'ok.'  I edited my fstab to just be the root
parition, no go.

I tried to install lilo again on that device(/dev/sda6--my root): ran
liloconfig and asked for new setup, did all that, it didn't complain, but
didn't change anything from what I already said.

-
Of course I'm thinking about just copying that stuff over and then
reinstalling a base ai1 ai2 from ftp.infomagic.com...But I think I'm just
doing something wrong.

Thanks!
Jonathan
--

--------------------------
Why does everyone put stupid stuff like encryption PGP's and such down here?

2. DPT PM3224 SmartRaid and 1.2.13

3. Help : win95 killed LILO

4. Overriding memory protection

5. help: killed win95 partition with lilo

6. Using an HP Printer on Sun Solaris

7. Win95 killed my LILO!

8. Message for burton@inno.herikon.com

9. reinstalling win95 killed my lilo boot stuff?!?!

10. Win95 killed my LILO

11. LILO with two Win95 copies of Win95...

12. Caldera Linux: LILO win95 tag does not start win95

13. LILO+BM+Win95 mostly ok, 2nd LILO hosed by booting Linux?