MetaFont with Linux (T Disk Series: TeX) Wants Library 'libXt.so.6'

MetaFont with Linux (T Disk Series: TeX) Wants Library 'libXt.so.6'

Post by Gil Neig » Fri, 31 Mar 1995 04:00:00

I have just installed Linux from the Slackware distribution using disk
sets A, D, and T.  When I run dvips to convert a TeX-generated dvi file
to a postscript file, it runs MakeTeXPK to generate the required PK
file(s).  This is a shell script that in turns calls a version of
MetaFont (cmmf in this case).  When I try to invoke MetaFont, I get the
following error message:

        cmmf: can't find library 'libXt.so.6'

This looks like it wants something from an X distribution, although I
am not running or using X.  Any ideas?

                                        - Gil Neiger

Post by Sverker Wibe » Fri, 07 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> I have just installed Linux from the Slackware distribution using disk
> sets A, D, and T.  When I run dvips to convert a TeX-generated dvi file
> to a postscript file, it runs MakeTeXPK to generate the required PK
> file(s).  This is a shell script that in turns calls a version of
> MetaFont (cmmf in this case).  When I try to invoke MetaFont, I get the
> following error message:

>    cmmf: can't find library 'libXt.so.6'

> This looks like it wants something from an X distribution, although I
> am not running or using X.  Any ideas?

>                                    - Gil Neiger

Obviously, MetaFont was compiled to probe for X and then use it if
running.

The easy way out is to install the Xt library (and any other X
libraries MF might need). You can use ldd(1) to list the shared libs a
binary needs.

The Right Thing would be to get the MF sources and recompile without X
support. This could be a bit messy, and is only really useful if you
would recompile anyway (or intend to never run X).

Lycka till

/Sverker
--

        Arma virumque cano
        GCS -d+ c+(++) l++ u e+(*) m++(*) s !n h f+ g+ w t+ r !y

Post by Gregory Merkl » Sun, 09 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: > When I try to invoke MetaFont, I get the
: > following error message:
: >
: >  cmmf: can't find library 'libXt.so.6'
: >
: > This looks like it wants something from an X distribution, although I
: > am not running or using X.  Any ideas?
: >

: The easy way out is to install the Xt library (and any other X
: libraries MF might need). You can use ldd(1) to list the shared libs a
: binary needs.

: The Right Thing would be to get the MF sources and recompile without X
: support. This could be a bit messy, and is only really useful if you
: would recompile anyway (or intend to never run X).

        An Easier Right Thing is to obtain a compiled version of MF
that doesn't reqire X.  One is available at ftp.cs.uidaho.edu as:
/pub/linux/slackware/contrib/tex/mf-nox11.tgz   It may be mirrored else-
where, but that's where I got my copy....

Hope this helps...
Greg
--

        "Life is short; live it up."  --Nikita Khrushchev