compaq presario

Post by <rs.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just bought a compaq computer and hope I can use both windows and linux on
it. I am not using their mouse or keyboard however; I use ps2 mouse and a
generic keyboard. The modem is a Conexant HCF PCI V90 modem, but I don't
plan to use it in linux. The video adapter SiS 530 and I think it is
supported by Linux. But I can't figure out what the motherboard is. My
question is does anyone have any problems with running linux on a Presario?

Thanks,
Ramin Sina

compaq presario

Post by Joel Gallu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I just bought a compaq computer and hope I can use both windows and linux on
> it. I am not using their mouse or keyboard however; I use ps2 mouse and a
> generic keyboard. The modem is a Conexant HCF PCI V90 modem, but I don't
> plan to use it in linux. The video adapter SiS 530 and I think it is
> supported by Linux. But I can't figure out what the motherboard is. My
> question is does anyone have any problems with running linux on a Presario?

I don't :)

but that doesn't mean much. "Presario" is just compaq's name for their
line of consumer PCs. It's almost as vague as calling something a
"PC". The worst part is the shelf time of any given Presario model is
only a few months.

The modem is probably a next-to-useless winmodem.

Almost any modern motherboard will run linux fine.

BTW, has anyone gotten the binary-only lucent winmodem driver to work
with a compaq LT modem?

--
Joel Gallun

http://www.tux.org/~joel

1. Compaq Presario and X

Here's my problem,

I have a Compaq Presario laptop (12XL323), and I'm running RH 7.0.  I have a
13.3 TFT Screen and a Trident CyberBlade AGP card, which shares memory with
my RAM.  I can get X to work, but either with the screen size too small or
the width perfect but missing an inch off the top. I have been messing with
Xconfig... for the past week, and I can't figure out how to get this thing
working.  I have no idea what my refresh rates are, and what resolution I
should be running at.  Can anyone please help me?????

Thanks in advance

2. installation errors

3. Utilizing all physical memory on a Compaq Presario 8702

4. Time and modules

5. Linux runs on Compaq Presario 520

6. Null Modem

7. Compaq presario 924 into a Linux Box

8. Problems with DLT tape drive.

9. Linmodem, Compaq Presario 21XX

10. Linux on Compaq Presario 1800

11. Installing X on a Compaq Presario 2110

12. Xfree86 configuration on a Compaq Presario CDS 524

13. RedHat installition kills WinME on Compaq Presario 1700T