Soundcard play *.au and *.wav files, but not from CD rom

Soundcard play *.au and *.wav files, but not from CD rom

Post by e.. » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:42:53

I've been trying to get my system to work with sound for a while, now.
I finally compiled 2.2.19 with sound support for SB Live! Value card
(emu10k1). I did not think it was working, for a while, but it gives
no error messages, now, and dmesg says it is loading ok. I tried
playing an au file, and, much to my surprise, it worked. So, then I
tried playing a wav file, and that worked, too. But, if I put an audio
cdrom into the cdrom drive, and try to play it, I get nothing from the
speakers. (If I put earphones into the earphone jack on the cdrom
drive, everything is fine, so I know the cdrom is working.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

TIA,
Ed

Soundcard play *.au and *.wav files, but not from CD rom

Post by E J » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 15:22:39

Does your CD-ROM has an audio cable connected to the sound card?  (On
windows can you play CDs
on the older windows CD-Player that uses the audio cable, Windows Media
plays CDs without the audio cable)
If you have an audio cable, check your mixer settings and see if the
volume for the CDs
are on and set (gmix for Gnome, kmix for KDE)

> I've been trying to get my system to work with sound for a while, now.
> I finally compiled 2.2.19 with sound support for SB Live! Value card
> (emu10k1). I did not think it was working, for a while, but it gives
> no error messages, now, and dmesg says it is loading ok. I tried
> playing an au file, and, much to my surprise, it worked. So, then I
> tried playing a wav file, and that worked, too. But, if I put an audio
> cdrom into the cdrom drive, and try to play it, I get nothing from the
> speakers. (If I put earphones into the earphone jack on the cdrom
> drive, everything is fine, so I know the cdrom is working.

> Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

> TIA,
> Ed

Soundcard play *.au and *.wav files, but not from CD rom

Post by e.. » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:49:44

I found the problem, at least to a degree. The sound card has two
audio outputs. One is working, the other is not. Apparently, there is
a way, in windows, to turn on 4 speakers, or both front and rear. In
Linux, apparently, only one of the audio output ports works. I am
noping there is a way to get the other one to work, so that I will
have 4 speakers (or, actually, one output for headphones and another
that goes to an amplifier) but I don't know if that is possible.

Maybe there is some driver software that will allow me to use both
front and rear, or at least both audio outputs???

Does anyone know of such software?

TIA,
Ed

>Does your CD-ROM has an audio cable connected to the sound card?  (On
>windows can you play CDs
>on the older windows CD-Player that uses the audio cable, Windows Media
>plays CDs without the audio cable)
>If you have an audio cable, check your mixer settings and see if the
>volume for the CDs
>are on and set (gmix for Gnome, kmix for KDE)

>> I've been trying to get my system to work with sound for a while, now.
>> I finally compiled 2.2.19 with sound support for SB Live! Value card
>> (emu10k1). I did not think it was working, for a while, but it gives
>> no error messages, now, and dmesg says it is loading ok. I tried
>> playing an au file, and, much to my surprise, it worked. So, then I
>> tried playing a wav file, and that worked, too. But, if I put an audio
>> cdrom into the cdrom drive, and try to play it, I get nothing from the
>> speakers. (If I put earphones into the earphone jack on the cdrom
>> drive, everything is fine, so I know the cdrom is working.

>> Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

>> TIA,
>> Ed

Soundcard play *.au and *.wav files, but not from CD rom

Post by E J » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 09:59:02

According to Creative:

                          Will the Sound Blaster Live! work under Linux?
                          Creative has hired and trained programmers who are
proficient in Linux device driver programming, and we continue
                          to work on drivers for various products, including
the Sound Blaster Live!. There's no set release date yet.