Need advice on adding extra COM Ports (have already read the FAQ's...)

Need advice on adding extra COM Ports (have already read the FAQ's...)

Post by Patrick Stickle » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Help!

I've read through the various HOWTO's and FAQ's about adding extra serial
ports
to my machine, but have not found as definitive an answer as I would like.

I need to add a number of serial devices (a printer, a SLIP cable to
another
machine, an Amateur Radio multimode controller (like a modem)) but all of
the
HOWTO's talk about is adding dial in/out modem banks. Can something like
the
Boca 16 port controller work with any arbitrary serial device? Can I plug
several 2-port DB9 serial port cards into my machine (like the ones used
in
most PC's for COM3 and COM4)? Do the multiport cards with telephone-like
sockets just need DB9 adapters? One HOWTO mentions a special adapter
"box"...

??????????

Any suggestions/solutions offered will be greatly appreciated.

======

  Senior Information Systems Engineer         Phone: (407) 356-9852 Office
  Lockheed Martin Automated Logistic Systems               356-6094 Lab
  MP1270, 12506 Lake Underhill Rd.            Fax:   (407) 826-6261
  Orlando, Florida 32825 U.S.A.                            356-8949
------
  Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today; because if you enjoy
  it today, you can do it again tomorrow...
======

1. I've read/am reading the faq's - but what is a Segmentation fault?

I am reading the faq's as fast as I can, but I would really appreciate a
pointer to information about Segmentation faults.  Every time I try to run
Pico (among others) the system responds with "Segmentation fault".  What
does it mean?  How can i fix it?  Is it in a FAQ?  Which one?

THANKS!!!
Dana
----------

----------
 \ The above does not represent OIT, UNC-CH, laUNChpad, or its other users. /

2. Linux as NFS server for Solaris

3. vi question (I already read the FAQ)

4. HELP! Couldn't spawn child process:

5. only root can startx -- i have already read the faq a

6. grepping for a pattern match

7. How to connect two Linux boxes via Com ports having two wires only

8. APM on Gatway Solo 5150

9. Help with dip/SLIP; bad ioctl() (already read FAQ)

10. Need 'C' code to read from a serial port

11. XENIX... adding extra serial ports?

12. HELP -- Sol 2.6 x86 -- How do I add extra serial ports

13. Need advice on removing 'old' entries listed by 'who -u'