scsi tape drive and "dump"

Post by Daniel Par » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone had success with "dump"?
I recently downloaded dump-0.3-11.i386.rpm which claims
that it now: "Works properly with partitions > 2 gigs."

But it doesn't.. well, at least not with my 4mm DDS-1
tape/tape drive which can hold 2GB of uncompressed data.
I have a 5GB partition which holds just over 2GB of actual
data and dump fails towards the end (and I assume it's
because it ran out of tape).  Now dump is supposed to
be able to continue this on another tape, but it doesn't.

Actually, it prompts me for the next tape, and then I
put it in and tell it to go ahead and that's when it fails.

The man page for dump says:

BUGS
[cut]
     The Linux port of dump is not able yet to produce correct multi-volume
     backups.

By "multi-volume", do they mean multiple tapes per partition or multiple
partitions per tape?  It stinks either way.  If it means it can't
handle multiple tapes per partition, I thought that RedHat's above
bugfix statement meant that this was no longer a problem.

Anyone have success dumping > 2GB or > 1 tape per partition?

Danny Park

scsi tape drive and "dump"

Post by Daniel Par » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for responding to my message via email, but I can't figure out how to
get back in touch with you.
Here's what I tried to send:

Subject: Re: scsi tape drive and "dump"

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 16:17:40 EST

Thanks for responding.
I guess our drives are a tad different (mines dds) but same idea..

Quote:> I have a HP TR-4 tape drive hooked up, and I can use dump just
> fine. However, you have to trick dump because it doesn't really
> know how much stuff you can put on the tape, and those parameters
> you pass it are only used for dump to figure how much to write
> to each tape.

> Here's what I use for my 4/8 Gb TR-4 tapes:

> mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
> dump 0udsbf 64000 8900 64 /dev/nst0 /home
> dump 0udsbf 64000 8900 64 /dev/nst0 /dev/sda2

So your /home or your /dev/sda2 is greater than 4-8GB?
From what I understand, this is what you're telling dump:
level 0
update /etc/dumpdates
density = 64000 bpi (bits per inch?)
length = 8900 feet (really?? that huge, mine's 90 meters)
blocksize = 64kB per dump record (what's a "dump record"?)
out to /dev/nst0

With linux and a scsi tape drive, I can't figure out whether to use st0
or nst0, or whether it doesn't matter..

This is what I've been doing:
dump $2ufBb /dev/tape 2000000 1 /dev/hda1 > $HOME/backup/log.$Label
um.. where $2 would be like "0" or "1"

thanks,

Danny

1. Help with dump/restore ("Tape is not a dump tape")

Hi,

I have performed dump of several partitions on a type in a Mammoth
drive. Then I tried to look at them by "restore", and I could access the
first partition. After that I ran "restore" once again, and I expected
that I would see the list of the files in the second partition. Instead,
all I got was the message "Tape is not a dump tape". When I ran "mt
status", it showed that I still am at the file 0. I also could not
advance by "mt fsf" - it exits immediately, and the status is the same.

I tried to backup two small directories, and I had no trouble restoring
them later. But when I backup whole partitions, I keep getting this
error.

I have Redhat 6.1.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
Simon
--
 _________

| y = e   |                                    (current address)
|_________|   Life is file...
http://www.simonf.com

Disclaimer: This is not me.                    (lifetime address)
This is just my mailer talking to your mailer...

2. Networking Problem

4. 2.4.20-rc1: Broken compilation on ppc - ppc_ksyms.c

5. Need help making tape drive "Available" after "Defining"

6. Linux and NT shares in an IPX world

8. bsd-like ps command

9. SCSI Tape "Unable to get major 9 for SCSI Tapes"

10. SCSI Tape Drive Not Recognized - "Termination" Problem?

11. SCSI Tape drive "I/O error when reading"

12. SCSI Tape Drive prob: mt says "No such device"

13. SCSI Tape Drive Not Recognized - "Termination" Problem?