pcmcia install: Failed to connect to server (Mandrake 7.1)

pcmcia install: Failed to connect to server (Mandrake 7.1)

Post by mandrakese.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

i hooked up my laptop to the ethernet network and want to do a pcmcia
install.  i use the mandrake 7.1 pcmcia boot floppy, the penguin image
comes up, i choose "HTTP" as install media, i choose "DHCP" as IP, enter
the download site and directory, and that's as far as i get.  the
program writes "Retrieving base/mdkinst_stage2.gz..." and after 15
minutes (!) it finally decides that it does not work: "Unable to
retrieve the second stage ramdisk: Failed to connect to server".

the same problem occurs when choosing "FTP" instead of "HTTP" and
choosing an ftp server instead of an http server. in fact, the same
problem (and the same 15 minute wait!) occurs when i type a wrong ftp
directory.  the network seems to be working though: when i mistype the
server name, i get an error message within seconds.

any ideas?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Mount failed installing Mandrake 7.1

Hi, When I start to install Linux Mandrake some windows appear probing for
something. Then it stops awhile initializing CD-ROM. Then the following
appears:
"Mount failed: Invalid Argument. Error mounting ramdisk. This shouldn't
happen, and I'm rebooting your system now."

The system reboots and the story repeats itself indefinitly. How can I solve
this odd problem?

Setup:
AMD-K7 700MHZ
128 Mgs RAM

Best regards,
--
Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy
http://www.pdestroy.net

2. Maelstom under LinuxPPC 99

3. I wanna install Mandrake 7.1 as Web server

4. Keyboard input problem in Motif Text widget...

5. linksys pcmcia ethernet & Mandrake 7.1

6. WANTED: info on free Motif builderz

7. Help! PCMCIA and Mandrake 7.1

8. Remote NT reboot.

9. ethernet card pcmcia on sony vaio with mandrake 7.1

10. Fundamental problem connecting win98 to Mandrake 7.1

11. Whiich ids better Mandrake 7.1 or Slackware 7.1

12. Upgrade from Mandrake 7.0 (Air) to Mandrake 7.1 (Helium): Painless?

13. Mandrake 7.1 vs Mandrake 7.2 ?