HELP!! CANT INSTALL RED HAT 4.2!!

Post by John Glist » Sun, 15 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I just got Red Hat Linux unleashed the book and it came with red hat 4.2.  I
am having a hard time installing it.  The book is not very detailed on the
installation process.  I am putting it on my old AMD 486-DX4 120 w/ 12 MB
ram.  My CD-ROM is SCSI, and it isnt supported by the install program....how
do i do this?

HELP!! CANT INSTALL RED HAT 4.2!!

Post by pe.. » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I just got Red Hat Linux unleashed the book and it came with red hat 4.2.  I
> am having a hard time installing it.  The book is not very detailed on the
> installation process.  I am putting it on my old AMD 486-DX4 120 w/ 12 MB
> ram.  My CD-ROM is SCSI, and it isnt supported by the install program....how
> do i do this?

I don't know about 4.2, but with 4.1 you'll have to answer from where to
install (CD ROM), which kind of CD ROM (SCSI) and which host (whatever).
order seems a bit strange at first (until you realize you don't need a CD
ROM if you installed via NFS).

The SCSI and ATAPI CD ROM drivers are part of the high level drivers (i.e.
SCSI or EIDE drivers respectively). They are generic drivers, that is they
are supposed to work with every SCSI/ATAPI CD ROM out there. The *%$#-CD ROM
drivers are just for brain dead non standard CD ROMs. In other words: I'll
never find a driver for my Nec 512, but I needn't as it is a SCSI drive.

--
   Peter

   Throughout  this  HOWTO, a  manual  entry  is simply referred to as a
   man page, regardless of actual length and without  sexist  intention.
                                              [The Linux Man-Page-Howto]

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. Connecting to PPP service

3. problems installing the red hat 4.2 HELP!

4. RT and X11R4

5. Help installing Red Hat 4.2 on Win95 and zip disk system

6. Red Hat - ARGH!

7. Help: installing red hat 4.2 hard drive/zip problems

8. Office Suite for PPC 2k?

9. HELP: Installing red hat 4.2

10. need help on install lilo (red hat version 4.2)

11. Red Hat 4.2 - install problems with Adaptec AIC-7880 onboard

12. CD-ROM troubles installing Red Hat 4.2

13. Problem w/ Adaptec 2940W controller and Red Hat 4.2 install