Missing video memory during TNT2 card installation.

Missing video memory during TNT2 card installation.

Post by Dr. Guillermo A. Morale » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I just installed Red Hat 6.1 and during the installation it detected my
Diamond Viper V770 Ultra video card (NVidia TNT2 based). The only thing
that was missed was the ammonut if video ram in the card: it only
detected 16 Mb out of the 32Mb.

Would it be possible to fix this just by modifying /etc/X11/XF86Config
myself with a text editor? These are the original lines:

Section "Device"
    Identifier         "RIVA TNT2"
    VendorName         "NVidia"
    VideoRam           16320
EndSection

Would it be OK if I change 16320 to 32640 with a text editor?

Thanks for your advice.

Guillermo.

--
-----
Guillermo A. Morales

ICQ: 22731651

Missing video memory during TNT2 card installation.

Post by Anton Degue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> Hi,

> I just installed Red Hat 6.1 and during the installation it detected my
> Diamond Viper V770 Ultra video card (NVidia TNT2 based). The only thing
> that was missed was the ammonut if video ram in the card: it only
> detected 16 Mb out of the 32Mb.

I have the same card and didn't have a single problem with xfree 3.3.6
or 4.0 with nvidia beta drivers 0.91.  Could you precise which version
of xfree you have.  If you have 3.3.5, an upgrade to 3.3.6 might solve
your problem (rpms can be found at http://rpmfind.net).  If you want a
stable system and no 3D acceleration, I would NOT recommend xfree 4.0.

Anton

--
Anton Deguet & Jane Delury
janeton<at>bellatlantic<dot>net

Missing video memory during TNT2 card installation.

Post by Flacc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello -

I had the same problem - during install it only recognized 20MB of my 32MB.

I just accepted the 20MB, then once it was installed and I was logged in as
root, I ran Xconfigurator, which allowed me to select the full 32MB.