HELP: I've tried everything I know (modem)

HELP: I've tried everything I know (modem)

Post by Madhu Balasubramania » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello,
    I think the problem is with your PCI controller. I have had the same
problem with my Dell Inspiron. Try putting another PCMCIA card and see if
it gets recognized. Do u hear sounds when u put in the card. Also after u
put in the card, check /var/adm/messages and see at the end of the file
whether theres any info about the card just plugged in. If you have a
message saying that it is an anonymous memory card - then u are in the
same boat as me - otherwsie let me know more about it and I will see if I
can help you - specially try sending me the last part of
/var/adm/messages.
i am using slackware 3.3 and it doesnt help - maybe 3.4 can!!! we have to
wait and see.

Madhu

Post by Sid Boyc » Sun, 16 Nov 1997 04:00:00

--------------216790D84D47F9A52F5A229A

> I have a Dell Latitude LM laptop computer with an US Robotics 56k
> internal modem. I have installed an old version of Slakware onto my
> computer.

> I have tried minicom, Seyon, and dip.  None of these have ever been
> able to initialize the modem!
> I have already read the HOWTOS on ppp, serial, and many more.
> I always check /var/spool/uucp for any  LCK files that need removing.

> AT THIS POINT I JUST WANT TO HEAR MY MODEM DIAL !!!

> On Win95, my modem works fine. Win95 says that my modem is
> on Com2  irq 3, uart 16550A, address 2f8.

> Thus, I put a line in my rc.serial
> setserial -bv /dev/ttyS1 uart 16550A  irq 3 port 2f8
> Then, I used setup to configure it to cua1.

> On boot, the messages appear to configure the modem.  However,
> neither Seyon or minicom can find my modem.

> Now here's the strange part that I don't really understand.
> My bios tells me that "COM PORTS: 3f8"
> If I configure the defaults for COM1 (cua0), Seyon appears to find my
> modem. However, it timesout every time I try to dial.

> MY QUESTIONS:
> Are Seyon/Minicom seeing something else on cua0?
> Why don't they see anything on cua1?
> Why do they always timeout?  Is this a Seyon configuration problem or
> a modem configuration problem.
> What is the best way to test my modem ie. initialize & dial.

> Could my old kernel not support this modem?  Is that possible or am I
> reaching?  I have already ordered Slackware 3.4.

> Anwsers to any of these questions or help in other ways would
> Gratefully be appreciated.

> thank you

        This could be an IRQ conflict as described below, I hope the tips
appended wil be able to get you up and running.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

    Get isapnptools from somewhere like sunsite.unc.edu in the debian
distribution.
Do pnpdump >/etc/isapnp.conf
Edit /etc/isapnp.conf and uncomment the desired lines...... e.g.
(IO 0 (BASE 0x03e8))
#       IRQ 4.
#             Low true, edge sensitive interrupt
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE -E)))
.
.
.
.
#     End dependent functions
(ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x12 (BAD)
        Next run "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" and setserial, would suggest an irq
be chosen that doesn't conflict with an existing serial port. You can place
the commands in your /etc/rc.d/rc.serial file so it takes care of it all
during boot up. Below is what I've set mine to .........
        My modem reported COM3 IRQ4 port 0x3e8 under dos install.
/bin/setserial /dev/cua2 port 0x3e8 irq 5 uart 16550A skip_test  spd_vhi
/sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
        There are a number of GUI setups that make it easy, I use xisp, but
here is a script I used previously.
debug /dev/cua2 57600 debug modem defaultroute noipdefault
tail -f -n 10 /var/log/messages
        The "tail" above lets you monitor progress of the connection and can
be terminated by ^C.

--------------216790D84D47F9A52F5A229A--

HELP: I've tried everything I know (modem)

Post by Alexander Bibighau » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Slakware 3.4 solved my problems.  All of you that helped,
thank you.  I believe the problem was that I had a pnp modem
and an old kernel

alexander

1. HELP!-I've tried everything and PPP still is dead!

Hi All,

    I still can't get my Sparc 2 to dial out and connect via PPP.  I
talked to Sun Tech about the problem that I'm having.  They have no clue
(Big surprise!) what wrong with my set up.  So I turn to you guys a few
weeks ago.  Thanks to all you I now have better idea off what makes
Solaris 2.6 tick.  But the problem of connection is still  there!  I
Reinstalled several time to make sure that everything is set up exactly
to what all the emails say.  But as soon as I type

# /etc/init.d/asppp start

All I get is another line.  No activity from the modem and the asppp.log
says that the script was successful.  Then when I type

# /etc/init.d/asppp stop

The system stops on my screen that is open.  If I open a new window or
use the CDE control panel that I can start new things but I have no
control over the windows on the screen.  At this point is I look at
asppp.log.  It says that PPP connection could not connect!

    What been tried so fare:
-Sun Doc on how to set up ASPPP
-Sun Doc on how to set up a modem
-Numerous Step-by Step instruction from a dozen people from this group.
-Change of PPP software from Solstice PPP_3.0.1 to ASPPP
-Change of modem from USR x2 to USR 14.4.k
-Changing the modem from ttya -ttyb (software and hardware)
-Playing with every PAP script known to man kind.

  All the Docs explain exactly the same thing so I know that the files
are set up correctly. Also I know the modem works because I can dial out
and connect using tip.  As well, a friend of mine installed RED HAT
Linux on a second drive for me.  I can get a PPP connect running Linux
in seconds!  I don't know enough about unix to deal with two different
version of it plus I can't find any software for the Sparc version of
linux.

    So if anyone has any ideas how to get a SPARCstation2 with 64 mb ram
and Solaris 2.6 to dial out and connect  PPP using a script or PAP
logon.  I'd really be a big help!

Chris
PS

2. How do you configure your own hostname

3. HELP!!:I've tried everything...

4. Serial 3 btns mouse

5. SuSE 9.2 Wireless (HiFi) I've tried everything?

6. UE450 Console

7. 3COM 3c509 problems - yes, I've tried EVERYTHING from howto, newsgroups, etc...

8. ftape 2.03b and ELF...

9. Lilo Hangs at "LI" (I've tried everything)

10. Modem configuration problem, I've all tried, HELP!!!!

11. ### I've disappeared and I don't know how come ### HELP!!!

12. Help Installing Samba : Here's what I've tried

13. I can't get xdm to run, but I've done everything!