Printing

Post by paul Carf » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I just compiled 2.0.33 in order to get my ethernet card to work.  Now I
have a problem with printing.  I noted when the system booted that I got
a "can't find module lp".

When ever I try to print I am getting:

failed after 1 attempts

Like it is trying to access the network for my local printer.  Is this
because the module didn't load??  I cannot find anywhere to set up for
an lp module.,  I selected printer port when compiling ther kernel.

I did notice that version 2.0.29 did have a directory in the
/lib/modules/2.0.29/misc that had a lp.o file, but I don't know how to
get the compile process to make one for 2.0.33..

Any ideas why I am getting the error and how to fix it?

thanks,

Paul

Printing

Post by Jon-Pa » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

You need to compile the lp module for your new kernel.  First, make sure
that in the kernel config you have lp configured for module.  After you make
zImage, try "make modules ; make modules_install"  This will compile and
install the correct version of the lp module and all should be back to
normal.
Jon-Paul

--
Unspecified error 0x0
Your server software is being unfriendly

Printing

Post by Kevin McDermo » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Help!

I have had installed Slackware 3.2-Linux 2.0.29 and recently upgraded to
Slackware 3.4-2.0.32, but I have one small problem.

I cannot print anything other than plain text to my Canon BJ-200.

I can `cat myfile > /dev/lp1`.
I can `lpr myfile` if myfile is a plain text file.

I cannot get Ghostscript to print any Postscript files or .DVI files.

I have tried setting PRINTCAP up with every utility I can find (APS-FILTER,
MAGICFILTER etc).

I have even installed RedHat 5.0 with its printer setup program.  But to no
avail.

When I print a .PS file it shows up in LPC as a job spooled.  The file appears
in the spooling directory.  But a `ps -aux` never shows GhostScript doing
anything.

When GS is run from the prompt sometimes it complains about not being able to
open the X11 display.  So I did briefly think that GS was bailing out when it
came to "filtering" my .PS files but I don't think this is the problem.

The only unusual thing connected between my computer and the printer is a
Colorado Trakker ( which I have got working with ftape-4.x-alpha - it is more
reliable under Linux than it ever was under DOS/WINDOWS ), but I don't think
this is the problem as `cat`ing directly to the printer device is unharmed.

Also, I don't think it is anything to do with the lp.o module being loaded
since I have a script to unload the lp module and insert the modules required
for the trakker and this is only run before backups are made.  Otherwise lp.o
is loaded in rc.modules.

Anyone with a solution

All tips gratefully accepted.

Kevin

1. HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING

Hey,

I tried to install my HP deskjet 520 under Linux since a long time
but I always have a lot of problems

The last one is that when i start a job linux can't start the daemon
printer but i have followed the HOWTO for the permissions

I search the EXACTLY FILES and the GOODS PERMISSIONS that i have to
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
use and if possible a GOOD FILTER for the HP DESKJET 520 printer
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^
(filter to solve the staircase effect )

PLEASE HELP ME -- HELP ME

I hope a lot of GOOD responses via mail only

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL
--------------------

======= http://dico.unice.fr/~plazis    ===========

2. Help: 3c905, RHL 5.0

3. Printing Printing Printing

4. Public-Key Cryptography Standards library + headers.

5. Print, Print, Print.....

6. Micron PCI P90 Powerstation Linux Gotcha's ??

7. Linux Printing to a Linksys Pocket Print Server

8. Year 2000 problem

9. What TCP port is used for AIX printing to print server via spooler?

10. SunOS 5.2 Print Client and BSD Print Server

11. Help required for printing through Barricade print server.

12. Print Credit Network Printing

13. problem with print to Netware print queue