HELP needed to remove LILO & install Windows NT

HELP needed to remove LILO & install Windows NT

Post by Dan Sumpti » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I hope someone can help me on this one.

I've been trying to install Windows NT, and re-formatted my disk
containing Linux to do so.

Unfortunately, this didn't remove LILO - I think it may be residing in
the boot partition of my other, DOS hard-disk.

Now, whenever I try to run WINNT to set up my system, it boots with
the usual 'LILO loading DOS', then NT tells me that there is a problem
with my disks.

I think that the actual problem is due to the fact that both of my
hard-disks are set up as normal addressing in the CMOS, but NT
required them to be LBA.  However, whenever I try to change the
settings and re-boot, LILO hangs after 'LI', and I can't do anything
else.

I've tried booting Linux using new bootdisk and rootdisk floppies
which I made, but when loading the rootdisk (color144) I get the
following error message:

Quote:>end_request: I/O error, dev 2100, sector 263648
>isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 0x2100 iso_blknum 65912
>HPFS: hpfs_read_super: Not HPFS
>kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 21:00

I have tried copying the file to 2 different floppies, in case of a
disk error, and have also copied the original from 2 different
sources.

I have also tried running fdisk /MBR from DOS, but this makes no
difference.

Does anyone have any idea how I can remove LILO and/or why I am unable
to load Linux from my 2 floppies?

               or compuserve 100046,2413, if you don't mind waiting
               a couple of months for me to read your message.

Post by Raphael Wegma » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

[...]

I suggest u run fdisk, and look out for the active partition.
Every partition has a boot sector where it can boot from.

--

        phone: 0043-222-8763850         snail: Adolfstorgasse 2a/1, A-1130 Wien

Post by Derick J.R. Qua-Gonzale » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I hope someone can help me on this one.

> I've been trying to install Windows NT, and re-formatted my disk
> containing Linux to do so.

> Unfortunately, this didn't remove LILO - I think it may be residing in
> the boot partition of my other, DOS hard-disk.

If you still have one of those DOS boot floppies with fdisk on it,
try "fdisk /mbr" which should restore the MBR to a DOS one.

-DQG-

Post by Dan Sumpti » Wed, 27 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>> I hope someone can help me on this one.

>> I've been trying to install Windows NT, and re-formatted my disk
>> containing Linux to do so.

>> Unfortunately, this didn't remove LILO - I think it may be residing in
>> the boot partition of my other, DOS hard-disk.

>If you still have one of those DOS boot floppies with fdisk on it,
>try "fdisk /mbr" which should restore the MBR to a DOS one.

>I suggest u run fdisk, and look out for the active partition.
>Every partition has a boot sector where it can boot from.

Thanks for the suggestions, but still no luck getting rid of LILO.  I
think my problem is probably due to the drivers needed to use my
Western Digital WDC3100 - Linux won't recognise this disk, and neither
will DOS unless the correct driver is loaded - meaning that I have to
wait for the hard-disk boot message before inserting a floppy to boot
from.

This means that if I boot from a floppy to run fdisk /mbr, either I
boot straight from the floppy and am unable to view the partition
information for the WDC3100, or I wait for the WD boot-message (which
appears just after "LILO loading DOS") then press space to boot off a
floppy, in which case fdisk /mbr probably leaves the boot sector as it
is.

When viewing the partition information for my disks, I get Disk 1
(WDAC3100) showing my primary dos partition and two logical
partitions, Disk 2 (formerly Linux, then Windows NT, now unformatted)
showing no partitions, and Disk 3 (SCSI disk) showing 1 DOS partition
(Status is 'A', which I presume means active, but fdisk will only
allow me to set active partitions on drive 1).

Any more hints?