Adaptec 1460-B Slimline Scsi PCMCIA

Post by Schibler, Pete » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 have been making a second attempt to get Linux to run on a laptop.
Below
is the information that I sent to RedHat by way of an incident report.
It
took over a week for a response and their initial advice did not work.
If
you can bear to read through it all, I would appreciate any thoughts or
comments

Pete Schibler

_____________________

I have a Dell XPi 90 laptop with the following configuration:
Lexmark WinWriter 400 (HP Laserjet Series II compatible)
Ricoh MP6200S Media Master CD-ROM Rewritable
IDE Hard disk Type 55 810 MB 784 Cyl 32 Head
Cirrus Logic CL-GD7543 V1.12 video chip set
Hitachi CM611 monitor
Adaptec 1460B PCMCIA SCSI card
Phoenix ROM BIOS Plus v1.10 A10
16550AF UART
3COM 56KB modem and 10MB Ethernet PCMCIA card

Originally, I purchase Linux 5.1 and had trouble configuring the
video and Samba.  I bought the Adaptec 1460B SCSI to replace the
SCSI controller that was part of the docking station.  I replaced my
original ethernet PCMCIA card with the 3COM combination card because
the older card did not seem to be able to see the Windows
workstation to which it was attached by way of a cross over CAT 5
cable.  So, I went back that * old Windows Operating system (95,
NT, 98). We all know what a waste that is.

So much for history.

Using the configuration listed above, I decided to give Linux 6.0 a
try because it has drivers for the hardware that I have.  Also, it
has KDE, which we use at work.  I like it very much.  When I went to
do the installation, I got to the part where it autoprobed for a
SCSI card.  It said it found a 152x SCSI but when it came time to
actually read the data on the CD, it said "Mount failed - Block
device required".  I went to your web site and found that there was
a replacement boot.img, bootnet.img, supp.img, and modules.img.
These new images were related to problems with Adaptec SCSI
controllers.  I downloaded them and used rawrite to copy them to
diskette. Since there was no PCMCIA.img, I used the one on the Linux
6.0 CD.  This time, it failed to recognize the SCSI controller at
all.  My understanding is that this is is a known problem but its
solution is not known to me.

I appreciate any information you can provide me.

This past weekend,
reinstalled Linux 5.1.  It is working OK.  Perhaps there is a way to
upgrade to 6.0 without a boot image diskette?

Thanks

To answer your last question you can actually do an "rpm -Uvh" on
all of the files located on the 6.0 Cd;

What you might want to attempt is to see if the 5.2 boot images will
read the CD (just to attempt to see where the Cd-Rom stops working);
however it has also been reported that if you can use a 5.2 install
image and the 6.0 Cd-Rom 6.0 will be properly installed as all of
the 2nd stage installer is run from the Cd-Rom and not from the
floppy. (Just a FYI; I've not tried this myself and it is not an
"Offical" recomendation just something that may help you out)

Tell me how this goes!

I went to your web site and got the boot and supp images for 5.2, used
rawrite to put them on floppy and went home to try it. I was confused
about
your statement to do and "rpm-Uvh" on all of the files. I went to the
package manager and found out that I had over 300 packages installed. I
tried rpm-Uhv hoping that it would update every package it found
automatically. Not so lucky.

I decided to try booting from the 5.2 boot diskette. I loaded the
supp.img
file when requested, asked for an upgrade, and it searched the hard disk
find out what need to be upgraded. It asked me if I wanted to modify
that
list and I said "no". It started installing the upgraded packages from
the
6.0 CD. It said it was going to upgrade about 338 packages and 440MB.
About
a half hour later, I went to check on it and it said that "Kernel ...
2.2.... was for a different platform or something to that effect. The
system
hung. I had to do a cold reboot. Linux would not boot. I tried using the
5.2
boot image disk again and got to the screen where it said it was going
scan for packages to install. It came back with a mount failure message
again without saying anything about a block device being required. I
tried
it again and got the same result.

All of the above happened between 5:00 and 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 22, 1999.