BusLogic BT-948 disappeared after firmware update??

BusLogic BT-948 disappeared after firmware update??

Post by Todd » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have a dual drive, mixed SCSI/IDE system running kernel 2.0.18.  I
finally had time to get back to my linux system after a month of
firghting with NT 4.0...when I discovered this problem--no SCSI
adapter detected on bootup.  Linux used to find my BusLogic BT-948
just fine.

Since I last used Linux on this machine, I'd been struggling with a
Microtek E6 scanner installation on NT 4.0.  I did the following in
hopes of fixing the scanner problem:

        o updated buslogic firmware/BIOS from 4.95L/5.05R to
          4.96F/5.06I
        o Gave up on E6 coexisting on a real SCSI bus and installed an
          Adaptec 1502AE under NT.  When I discovered the Linux
          problem, I physically removed the 1502AE from the system (at
          first I suspected a SCSI host adapter conflict...but problem
          remains even without the 1502AE)

Since my Linux root is on the IDE drive, I can boot semi-okay...until
it tries to check the filesystem on /dev/sda3 (I have /usr mounted
here).  It reports that device /dev/sda cannot be found, and drops me
to an emergency shell asking me to fix the filesystem.  I suspect the
filesystem is fine, if only I could find /dev/sda.

        % fdisk /dev/sda

yields the same result--/dev/sda not found.  When I reboot and watch
the console messages, I see that no SCSI adapter is ever detected.

When I try to manuall insmod BusLogic.o, insmod reports that the
module installation was not successful.

Do I need an update to the BusLogic driver to support the new
firmware?  I'm currently using the driver that came with RedHat 4.0.

TIA for any advice,
Todd

Post by v_.. » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I have a dual drive, mixed SCSI/IDE system running kernel 2.0.18.  I
> finally had time to get back to my linux system after a month of
> firghting with NT 4.0...when I discovered this problem--no SCSI
> adapter detected on bootup.  Linux used to find my BusLogic BT-948
> just fine.

> Since I last used Linux on this machine, I'd been struggling with a
> Microtek E6 scanner installation on NT 4.0.  I did the following in
> hopes of fixing the scanner problem:

>         o updated buslogic firmware/BIOS from 4.95L/5.05R to
>           4.96F/5.06I
>         o Gave up on E6 coexisting on a real SCSI bus and installed an
>           Adaptec 1502AE under NT.  When I discovered the Linux
>           problem, I physically removed the 1502AE from the system (at
>           first I suspected a SCSI host adapter conflict...but problem
>           remains even without the 1502AE)

> Since my Linux root is on the IDE drive, I can boot semi-okay...until
> it tries to check the filesystem on /dev/sda3 (I have /usr mounted
> here).  It reports that device /dev/sda cannot be found, and drops me
> to an emergency shell asking me to fix the filesystem.  I suspect the
> filesystem is fine, if only I could find /dev/sda.

>         % fdisk /dev/sda

> yields the same result--/dev/sda not found.  When I reboot and watch
> the console messages, I see that no SCSI adapter is ever detected.

> When I try to manuall insmod BusLogic.o, insmod reports that the
> module installation was not successful.

> Do I need an update to the BusLogic driver to support the new
> firmware?  I'm currently using the driver that came with RedHat 4.0.

> TIA for any advice,
> Todd

I have a -948 also. A couple of things come to mind. After the flash,
does the adapter's BIOS screen appear on the screen during boot? Have
you reset all of the device settings in the BIOS (the new BIOS will not
keep your old settings). Have you re-run the SCSI setup utility built
into the bios to rescan the bus? Try to rescan
bus and re-set your device settings and see if that helps.

mike

BusLogic BT-948 disappeared after firmware update??

Post by Todd » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I have a -948 also. A couple of things come to mind. After the flash,
> does the adapter's BIOS screen appear on the screen during boot?

It does.  NT 4.0 was quite happy with it.

Quote:> Have you reset all of the device settings in the BIOS (the new BIOS
> will not keep your old settings). Have you re-run the SCSI setup
> utility built into the bios to rescan the bus? Try to rescan bus and
> re-set your device settings and see if that helps.

Ah ha!  You solved it.  I was not aware that flashing the BIOS blew
away all the old settings.  I turned on ISA Compatability (set to
"Alternate"), turned off SCSI parity checking, and turned off SCAM
mode.  I'm not sure if all these changes were necessary, but I do know
that Linux is once again alive on my machine.

Thanks for the info!
Todd

Post by David H. L » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

:         o updated buslogic firmware/BIOS from 4.95L/5.05R to
:           4.96F/5.06I
: Do I need an update to the BusLogic driver to support the new
: firmware?  I'm currently using the driver that came with RedHat 4.0.

Hi todd,

Didn't redhat 4.0 ship with the 1.2.x series of kernels? The buslogic
driver in that is absolutely ancient.  I believe it still used to probe
for the ISA compatible I/O address.  The 948 series, at least in
later revisions, has the ISA port off by default. You should probably
update to redhat 5.0, or at least 4.2.  (Although that might break
other things).  Alternatively, you can just go into the
Buslogic SCSI setup program with control-B and turn on the
ISA compatible I/O port.

1. AHA-1542B and Buslogic BT-948

Im trying to get both these SCSI controllers to work in the same box but
no luck.  System hangs at the PC BIOS screen and never boots the kernel.
Have tried all possible I/O,IRQ,DMA,ID,BIOS-address settings with similair
results. Any suggestions?

/stb
--
---
Stephen Balbach  "Driving the Internet To Work"

2. .htaccess problem

3. ANNOUNCEMENT: BusLogic FlashPoint/BT-948 Upgrade Program

4. Move window with keyboard

5. BusLogic BT-948 HELP !!!!

6. .xkeymap file?

7. BusLogic BT-948 SCSI card and 3C590 Etherlink III card

8. problem with spaces in filenames

9. SCSI-BusLogic BT-948 + PCI + Diamond = ???????

10. BusLogic (Got the BT-948 but no go)

11. BusLogic MultiMaster BT-948 (RedHat 4.1)

12. Error from Buslogic BT 948 in FreeBSD 3.0 CURRENT

13. SOLUTION: SCSI BT-948 + Diamond + Linux