Mandrake 7.2, CUPS and Samba

Post by Colin Wall » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I installed Mandrake 7.2 this weekend. Very impressive, went like a dream.

There are a couple of small hassles, mostly with modules.conf. However the
major difficulty I am having is with CUPS and Samba. My daughter's machine
is running W98. Whenever she tries to print anything either lpr goes into a
tight loop or cupsd dies. In neither case is there any information in any
log files to tell me what the problem is.

I know it is early days, but has anybody seen this problem and got a fix?

Mandrake 7.2, CUPS and Samba

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I installed Mandrake 7.2 this weekend. Very impressive, went like a dream.

> There are a couple of small hassles, mostly with modules.conf. However the
> major difficulty I am having is with CUPS and Samba. My daughter's machine
> is running W98. Whenever she tries to print anything either lpr goes into a
> tight loop or cupsd dies. In neither case is there any information in any
> log files to tell me what the problem is.

> I know it is early days, but has anybody seen this problem and got a fix?

I've only just installed Mandrake 7.2 on one system, and it doesn't have
a printer attached directly to it, so I've not looked at this
specifically; however, I do know that the smb.conf "printing" parameter
accepts a value of CUPS, thus setting various printing defaults to work
with CUPS. If this parameter isn't already set, try setting it and see
if that helps.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

1. samba, mandrake 7.2 and cups, or, samba follies

Hi all.  I've got samba up and running on a mandrake 7.2 box.  Details:

networking setup is peer-to-peer

workstation:  Mandrake 7.2, cups 1.1.7, samba 2.0.9

remote:  laptop running windowsMe 8-<

Printer:  HP dj820Cse winprinter
Printer works fine, well, acceptably well in linux via cups, using
foomatic+pnm2ppa drivers, using the lp printer que setup in printdrake

Printing from the remote using the windows printer drivers

Samba runs on boot

When browsing for printers from the remote via network places I can see
only a printer called "printers".  I cannot print to this printer.

However, when I restart samba, what do I see?  I can "see" printer "lp"
in the network places, in addition to "printers".  If I point the laptop
to that printer (\\workstation\lp) instead of "printers"
(\\workstation\printers)  I can now print to my hearts delight.

BUT this printer "goes away" when I reboot.  The only way to get it back
is to execute "samba restart".

Here is the printer section from /etc/smb.conf:

# NOTE: If you have a CUPS print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer.
# You must configure the samba printers as "Generic PostScript Printer"
# on your Windows clients.
# If you wish to configure the printers directly on the Windows clients
# (i.e. use the windows drivers on the clients) you must swap the
# 'print command' line below with the commented one.
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s # using client side printer
drivers.;   print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers
(use generic PostScript on clients).
   lpq command = lpstat -o %p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j

(yes the cups driver line is commented out)

let me know what you think.

--karl

2. Adding ibcs to kernels 1.3x

3. Mandrake 7.2 / CUPS / LPD and dot matrix printers

4. modem trouble

5. Problem with samba printer in Mandrake 7.2

6. Single User mode

7. Settin up Samba on Mandrake 7.2

8. A few questions by a newbie!

9. Samba Install Difficulties w/Mandrake 7.2

10. problems with samba and routing under mandrake 7.2

11. Mandrake 7.2 & Samba

12. Mandrake CUPS Samba Printing

13. Sharing a WinXP printer with Samba/CUPS/Mandrake 9.1