Broken HD detection slows down boot

Post by Matte » Sun, 05 May 2002 20:44:37

Hello all,
        I'm using RH 7.2 and everything works fine, except for a boring
delay I get on every boot (I'm using LILO).

The delay happens when the system tries to recognize hdb, a
half-broken 10GB HD that I usually access from Windows to store
temporary data, etc. I don't want to access this broken HD from Linux.

Unfortunately, on every boot Linux tries hard to recognize hdb,
failing on every attempt, and I can't help waiting for every timeout
to expire. That takes about 1 min.

How can I skip hdb detection? I tried to hide hdb from BIOS, but I got
a kernel panic (anyway, BIOS fiddling is not what I am aiming for)

Thank you!

Post by davide_sp.. » Sun, 05 May 2002 20:57:12

> The delay happens when the system tries to recognize hdb, a
> half-broken 10GB HD that I usually access from Windows to store
> temporary data, etc. I don't want to access this broken HD from Linux.

Try passing hdb=none or hdb=noprobe to the kernel, you can put it
into the lilo.conf or type it at the LILO: prompt
See also the BootPrompt-HOWTO (section 7.x)

Davide

Broken HD detection slows down boot

Post by Matte » Mon, 06 May 2002 22:04:40

Quote:>Try passing hdb=none or hdb=noprobe to the kernel, you can put it
>into the lilo.conf or type it at the LILO: prompt
>See also the BootPrompt-HOWTO (section 7.x)

Grazie, it works great now :-)

1. lilo config for dual hd-boot hd->ramdisk-boot?

Hi, I've got a 128 Mb flashdisk with hda1 partition of size 48Mb
(actually 50192Kb), of which 41Mb is used. I can directly boot this
partition with a standard lilo configuration. Oh, I have 64Mb of RAM,
but the OS, my small program, and no other servers require only 6Mb of
this.

Since it is a flashdisk, with limited rewrite capabilities, I would like
to load the whole of this hda1 partition into a ramdisk and use the
ramdisk as the root fs, that way I only ever read from the flashdisk.

I don't think I need to use initrd (since my kernel *already* has
everything it will need, I do not need to do a two-stage boot),  and I
don't think I need a compressed image of the root filesystem (since the
first partition, which, as explained above, I can also use directly as
the root filesystem, contains exactly what I want to load into RAM).

Ok, so my 2.2.19 kernel has ramdisk support compiled in - i.e. not just
as a module, and also loopback device and initrd, though I don't think I
need the last two of these.

My lilo.config has:

        boot=/dev/hda
        prompt
        timeout=30

        #  To use hda1 as root
        image=/path/to/the/kernel
                label=flash
                root=/dev/hda1

        #  To load hda1 into ram0 and use *that* as root fs
        image=/path/to/the/kernel
                label=ram
                append="root=/dev/ram0 start_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=50192 load_ramdisk=1"

Booting the 'flash' works fine, but booting 'ram' doesn't; the kernel
gets loaded correctly, but then it says "can't mount root filesystem on
01:00". I presume '01:00' means major 1 minor 0, which *is* ram0, so it
seems that the kernel knows what I want to be the root filesystem, it's
only that it failed to load the partition into memory before trying to
mount it.

I also tried adding 'prompt_ramdisk=1' just to see if it was even seeing
any of the ramdisk-related kernel parameters, and it did not prompt me
after loading the kernel, before attempting to load/mount the root
filesystem.

Can anybody offer any advice? Many thanks!

Alexis

2. Unix Systems Administrator, Winston-Salem, NC

3. NFS: When one server goes down, entire network slows down to a crawl.

4. Pthread priority in FreeBSD

5. RH6 slow boot-up/shut-down

6. /dev/random entropy

7. Broken Down memory how to configure boot up to exclude?

8. Reference on mime types and default apps

9. Boot process slowed down at sendmail

10. 2.5 slows down on slow ftp's

11. Boot broken, no ramdisk or hd w/PCI video

12. New/fast HD with old/slow HD

13. third hd and slow boot