lilo dos, win-95 and Linux.

Post by paul sonod » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to setup a three way lilo boot: Dos, Win-95, and Linux.  I
have partioned the dos and win-95 as primary and made the main Linux
bootable.  The Dos on hda1 works fine and Linux works fine but when
win-95 loads you see the initial screen and then it comes up that it
can't find C:\windows\command.com. The problem is that because Win-95 is
on hda2 it comes up as the "D" drive and Win-95 assumes it is booting on
the "C" drive.  Is there any way make lilo boot up the second partition
as "C" drive instead of "D", or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance! Paul S.

lilo dos, win-95 and Linux.

Post by MATTHEW BAXT » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

(posted and mailed)

: I am trying to setup a three way lilo boot: Dos, Win-95, and Linux.  I
: have partioned the dos and win-95 as primary and made the main Linux
: bootable.  The Dos on hda1 works fine and Linux works fine but when
: win-95 loads you see the initial screen and then it comes up that it
: can't find C:\windows\command.com. The problem is that because Win-95 is
: on hda2 it comes up as the "D" drive and Win-95 assumes it is booting on
: the "C" drive.  Is there any way make lilo boot up the second partition
: as "C" drive instead of "D", or is there a better way to do this?

: Thanks in advance! Paul S.

Since Linux has teh first partition on hda fdisk(dos) will allow
you to create a hda2 as a Primary partition.

With out re-formating your drive, you can look in the config files
(autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini(yes it still does somethig))
and change any reerances to c:\blahblah to d:\blahblah

You can also look in the MSDOS.SYS file and loog for listings for
the windows dir.  That may also help.

Matt Baxter

1. *** lilo won't boot win' 95 ***

Greetings everybody!

Installed linux a couple of weeks ago. I really like the way it works.

I am having a progblem though Windows '95 won't boot up.

The reason being is that I formated the linux drive as a linux file system
and therefore both dos and win'95 won't recognise it anymore.

This puts Windows '95 on a different drive than it should be and when I
try to boot-up it says "Can't find Win.com" among other  stuff.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

2. Linux install on HP Pavilioin zt1130 problems.

3. LILO config for Linux, Windows 95 and DOS

4. DHCP SERVER not working quite right? (RH6.0)

5. Easiest way to connect realmode Win 95/98 (i.e. DOS) to Linux server

6. Need help with new install

7. Install of Linux over Win 95 with no DOS < 7?

8. Programming with NCURSES in Linux

9. Linux access from dos/win/windows 95/NT

10. gcc/flex cross-compile to linux->dos (win/95)

11. Linux installation with no Dos, just Win 95?

12. DOS emulation under Linux better than Win 95?