Plug&Play Linux installation help (using Mitsumi quad speed CD-ROM Drive)

Plug&Play Linux installation help (using Mitsumi quad speed CD-ROM Drive)

Post by K.K. Ram Ramakrishnan - P » Sat, 22 Apr 1995 04:00:00

HELP!!!!!

I just bought a Pentium-90 with a quad speed Mitsumi CD-ROM drive.
I am in the process of installing (at least attempting) Linux
from the Plug&Play Linux from Walnut Creek.

I got the boot floppy made and during boot, it does not recognize the
CD-ROM drive as mitsumi. I also tried to boot with " linux mcd=0x01f0,14 "
still it complains saying "No Mitsumi drive found" (or something like that).
Then it goes on trying several options (mostly NEC ....) and times out in each
of the try. However, I do see the CD-ROM drive LED turns on and off during
each try.

CD-ROM is setup as slave on the primary IDE channel. It works find with DOS and
Windows. The Mitsumi manual claims this drive has the new ATAPI(?) interface.

Now to the final part. P&P Linux CD also came with the runlinux.bat (dosload)
so that one can load linux from DOS. When I try that, the system hangs with
no response. I am stuck )-: .

If this helps the following is my system configuration.

Pentium 90
32Meg RAM
Mitsumi 4X CD-ROM (I think it is FX-something)

I would appreciate any help in this matter. Please e-mail
any response to the following e-mail. Thanks in advance.

PS: I have never used Linux or installed any unix OS.

-----
Disclaimer
I do not speak for my employers

--
 Intel, Corp.

1. LINUX "plug & play" CD with Philips LMS CM205 CD rom drive

recently i acquired the Yggdrasil plug & play linux cd, and of course
being plugged in and played was the furthest thing from its mind.
the first few times i tried booting, it didn't recognize the cd at all.
on consulting the docs, it becomes clear that they realized that the
philips cd rom drivers had to be separate due to some conflict with other
cd rom drivers and they nicely enough included a boot disk for the philips
drive.  however, they neglected to remove whatever cd drivers this version
of the boot disk conflicts with and, while the cm205 is recognized during
boot, i unfortunately get numerous other errors (from trying other cd
drives) and an eventual kernel panic about being unable to mount root.
does anyone have any experience getting this particular version of linux
to work with the cm205 drive, or have any suggestions about how to get
linux running from an alternate boot disk (that they might know how to
obtain)?  i'd really appreciate it...
the last straw for me was that the friendly MSCDEX compatible "runlinux"
program doesn't work either (although it's supposed to work with all
mscdex compatible drives, which my philips is), because it immediately
reboots the pc rather than starting linux.  quite frustrating, of course.
any suggestions about that would also be appreciated....
thanks,
chris koeritz.
--
 To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others--Shakyamuni Buddha

2. #include <math.h> - problem

3. awe64 sound setup

4. linux, Mitsumi CD-ROM (& SB), & the TA CD-ROM - solved!

5. Gnome installation

6. MITSUMI QUAD SPEED CD-ROM DRIVER

7. network card setup? cox@home.

8. Mitsumi Quad Speed CD-ROM Units

9. SNOW 2.3 linux-version / Mitsumi Quad-Ide (ATAPI) cd-rom HELP !!!!

10. Quad speed Mitsumi CD ROM

11. Any Quad speed CD-ROM drives to avoid?

12. Teac Quad-Speed CD-ROM drive problem