Linux Adventures Web Page.

Post by Insectus Penti » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Here is the URL of a web page I made describing my adventures with Linux:

http://www.veryComputer.com/~pentius/Linux.html

No severe ranting, but it shows where I *ed up, and how to avoid it,
and yes, links to Linux sites.

--
Microsoft is living proof that a sales talent is vastly more useful in a
capitalist society than intelligence. A person with an IQ of 1,000 could

Linux Adventures Web Page.

Post by Donald Tvet » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Here is the URL of a web page I made describing my adventures with Linux:

>http://www.veryComputer.com/~pentius/Linux.html

>No severe ranting, but it shows where I *ed up, and how to avoid it,
>and yes, links to Linux sites.

Actually this idea is not a bad one but it could be pushed further.  If
people will write up their adventures with Linux, put them on the web
and include an aritficial keyword like, say, "linuxsetup" the web
searchers will happily catalog them all under that term.  When you add
other details like the computer make, Linux version, etc. people can
then go and do a web search using keywords like, in my case:

linuxsetup redhat4 gateway et6000

thereby making it easier for people to get their systems set up.
Perhaps the only downside is that some web searchers will take a long
time to find your page.

The Basis of AI                                  Backpropagator's Review
The Quantum Basis of Natural Intelligence?  NN freeware for UNIX and PCs
     A Professional BP Version (soon in a full Windows 95 version)

: >http://www.ripco.com/~pentius/Linux.html

: Actually this idea is not a bad one but it could be pushed further.  If
: people will write up their adventures with Linux, put them on the web
: and include an aritficial keyword like, say, "linuxsetup" the web
: searchers will happily catalog them all under that term.  When you add
: other details like the computer make, Linux version, etc. people can
: then go and do a web search using keywords like, in my case:

: linuxsetup redhat4 gateway et6000

: thereby making it easier for people to get their systems set up.
: Perhaps the only downside is that some web searchers will take a long
: time to find your page.

This will, however save people from a lot of ranting, flaming, etc, that
plague newbies today. A beautiful example in my web page is the Wearnes
CDD-110, and motherboards. Before I found the clue that it only works on a
PCI motherboard, I was very frustrated, and ranted, only (of course) to
get flames. If people put their Linux adventures on web pages, newbies
could find all the clues they'll ever need for nearly any setup. This
would be the absolute best imaginable documentation possible.

On my Linux page, I also mention a "hack" to take care of NE2000 cards
without jumpers. You use Winblows 95 as a diagnostic tool! Had there been
"Linuxweb", I probably would have been able to grep up someone else's UUCP
adventure, and if it was detailed enough, get mine to work. Too bad. I
already gave up on UUCP, at least until Linuxweb gets started.

--
Microsoft is living proof that a sales talent is vastly more useful in a
capitalist society than intelligence. A person with an IQ of 1,000 could
die destitute, but a cretin with a sales talent can become a billionaire

Linux Adventures Web Page.

Post by Michael D. Demer » Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Fellow Linux'ers

   I would be happy to allocate as much space as necessary on our server
for a centralized
  "LinuxWeb".  If anyone would like to share their adventures, give
their input
   as to the format of the site, or any other ideas, send email to:

   I'll gladly donate my time to maintaining the site, if everyone out
there
   would take a few minutes to share their
experiences/configurations/links/etc.

-Mike Demers

> : >http://www.ripco.com/~pentius/Linux.html

> : Actually this idea is not a bad one but it could be pushed further.  If
> : people will write up their adventures with Linux, put them on the web
> : and include an aritficial keyword like, say, "linuxsetup" the web
> : searchers will happily catalog them all under that term.  When you add
> : other details like the computer make, Linux version, etc. people can
> : then go and do a web search using keywords like, in my case:

> : linuxsetup redhat4 gateway et6000

> : thereby making it easier for people to get their systems set up.
> : Perhaps the only downside is that some web searchers will take a long
> : time to find your page.

> This will, however save people from a lot of ranting, flaming, etc, that
> plague newbies today. A beautiful example in my web page is the Wearnes
> CDD-110, and motherboards. Before I found the clue that it only works on a
> PCI motherboard, I was very frustrated, and ranted, only (of course) to
> get flames. If people put their Linux adventures on web pages, newbies
> could find all the clues they'll ever need for nearly any setup. This
> would be the absolute best imaginable documentation possible.

> On my Linux page, I also mention a "hack" to take care of NE2000 cards
> without jumpers. You use Winblows 95 as a diagnostic tool! Had there been
> "Linuxweb", I probably would have been able to grep up someone else's UUCP
> adventure, and if it was detailed enough, get mine to work. Too bad. I
> already gave up on UUCP, at least until Linuxweb gets started.

> --
> Microsoft is living proof that a sales talent is vastly more useful in a
> capitalist society than intelligence. A person with an IQ of 1,000 could
> die destitute, but a cretin with a sales talent can become a billionaire

| Web-Man Information Systems       Call 1 (800) WEB-MAN-1  for:    |
| 1311 Hanover St. #33                                              |
| Manchester, NH  03104                  Turn-Key Web Servers       |
| http://www.web-man.com          and Hi-Powered Linux Workstations |

Linux Adventures Web Page.

Post by Tim Webst » Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>>Here is the URL of a web page I made describing my adventures with Linux:

>>http://www.veryComputer.com/~pentius/Linux.html

>>No severe ranting, but it shows where I *ed up, and how to avoid it,
>>and yes, links to Linux sites.

>Actually this idea is not a bad one but it could be pushed further.  If
>people will write up their adventures with Linux, put them on the web
>and include an aritficial keyword like, say, "linuxsetup" the web
>searchers will happily catalog them all under that term.  When you add
>other details like the computer make, Linux version, etc. people can
>then go and do a web search using keywords like, in my case:

>linuxsetup redhat4 gateway et6000

>thereby making it easier for people to get their systems set up.
>Perhaps the only downside is that some web searchers will take a long
>time to find your page.

>The Basis of AI                                  Backpropagator's Review
>The Quantum Basis of Natural Intelligence?  NN freeware for UNIX and PCs
>     A Professional BP Version (soon in a full Windows 95 version)

I would be glad to submit an article to this page. Boy I have I got an
adventure to tell about. Also I think at this point I could write a very
good guide to debuging 486/586 PCs. What to look for how to fix it. What
is the fastest most effective way to get the dam thing setup so you can
get to work...

-Tim.

Linux Adventures Web Page.

Post by Donald Tvet » Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Fellow Linux'ers

>   I would be happy to allocate as much space as necessary on our server
>for a centralized
>  "LinuxWeb".  If anyone would like to share their adventures, give
>their input
>   as to the format of the site, or any other ideas, send email to:

>   I'll gladly donate my time to maintaining the site, if everyone out
>there
>   would take a few minutes to share their
>experiences/configurations/links/etc.

>-Mike Demers

Mike, I don't have any objection to anyone setting up a web site
for Linux adventures but note that in my proposal it is self-organizing.
The web searchers collect the web pages automatically and the
artificial key words (like linuxsetup) keep our project separate
from the rest of the web.  Your site would be nice for people
without a place to post their pages and in the long run I expect
the web will be so big that web searchers will become specialized
around certain topics (this will be nice for advertisers) and of
course you could get a jump on that.  Can you incorporate a
web searcher like altavista into this project?

By the way besides being a computer person I'm fond of gardening so
I have been trying to start this idea with the "How to Grow it
Project" where people write up their experiences and use artificial
keywords like "howtogrow".  Unfortunately it is not catching on,
no one seems interested or they are not adept with web pages or
haven't caught the vision yet.

Thanks,

Linux Adventures Web Page.

Post by Insectus Penti » Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: >Fellow Linux'ers
: >
: >   I would be happy to allocate as much space as necessary on our server
: >for a centralized
: >  "LinuxWeb".  If anyone would like to share their adventures, give
: >their input
: >   as to the format of the site, or any other ideas, send email to:
: >

: >
: >   I'll gladly donate my time to maintaining the site, if everyone out
: >there
: >   would take a few minutes to share their
: >experiences/configurations/links/etc.
: >
: >-Mike Demers

: Mike, I don't have any objection to anyone setting up a web site
: for Linux adventures but note that in my proposal it is self-organizing.

Sooner or later, there will have to be a place where people can find out
about Linuxweb itself, such as the Linuxweb .FAQ to answer questions about
Linuxweb itself.

: The web searchers collect the web pages automatically and the
: artificial key words (like linuxsetup) keep our project separate
: from the rest of the web.  Your site would be nice for people

I already put "Linuxweb" into my Linux web page. It's in the part
explaining "perhaps someday...." where I describe the vision of a Linux
newbie going to http://www.hotbot.com to grep up information adding
"Linuxweb" to the words to grep up.

: By the way besides being a computer person I'm fond of gardening so
: I have been trying to start this idea with the "How to Grow it
: Project" where people write up their experiences and use artificial
: keywords like "howtogrow".  Unfortunately it is not catching on,
: no one seems interested or they are not adept with web pages or
: haven't caught the vision yet.

Maybe this idea might catch on. After all, the expierenced Linux fans
would have only to describe how they set it up once, and the newbies use
the Web to find the answers. While "gardenweb" didn't take off, this
might, becuse Linux people are more likely know how to make a web page,
unlike gardening enthusiasts.

--

http://www.ripco.com/~pentius

Linux Adventures Web Page.

Post by Insectus Penti » Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: I would be glad to submit an article to this page. Boy I have I got an
: adventure to tell about. Also I think at this point I could write a very
: good guide to debuging 486/586 PCs. What to look for how to fix it. What
: is the fastest most effective way to get the dam thing setup so you can
: get to work...

If you can set up a web page, DO IT! Just make sure you put the word
Linuxweb somewhere in the HTML. The search engines will automatically
organise Linuxweb as that's an intentional keyword. No centralised
location is needed for this to work. :) The search engines do all the
drudgery work for us. All we do is put up the web pages with detailed
accounts of our expierences.

--

Post by Mark Nei » Mon, 23 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: Mike, I don't have any objection to anyone setting up a web site
: for Linux adventures but note that in my proposal it is self-organizing.
: The web searchers collect the web pages automatically and the
: artificial key words (like linuxsetup) keep our project separate
: from the rest of the web.  Your site would be nice for people
: without a place to post their pages and in the long run I expect
: the web will be so big that web searchers will become specialized
: around certain topics (this will be nice for advertisers) and of
: course you could get a jump on that.  Can you incorporate a
: web searcher like altavista into this project?

   A few suggestions....my 5 cents (since I think this is a great idea)

1)  Instead of posting emails allow people wo write their own web pages to
    send to you, or whoever, for a linuxweb server.

2)  A few messages ago, there was a post about using our own specific
    keyword so that search engines can find us.  Keep this idea.

Both of there, I'm recommending, because:

3)  Whoever sets up the webserver, please go look at the new WN server
    that was just announces on comp.os.linux.announce.  The server does
    built-in indexing and searching of text pages.  If you don't have the
    article in your spool, email me, I downloaded it so that I can
    refer to it for something I may soon be working on.

    Besides, if we're gonna be a LinuxWeb, we should use a web server that
    is promoted for and through Linux :)

: By the way besides being a computer person I'm fond of gardening so
: I have been trying to start this idea with the "How to Grow it
: Project" where people write up their experiences and use artificial
: keywords like "howtogrow".  Unfortunately it is not catching on,
: no one seems interested or they are not adept with web pages or
: haven't caught the vision yet.

    Try emailing the admins of the search engines, tell them your 'plan'.
Maybe you can get them, or you could start a group, to make an 'index' of
keywords for use in web pages or the like.

Linux Adventures Web Page.

Post by Joe Befum » Tue, 24 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>    I would be happy to allocate as much space as necessary on our server
> for a centralized
>   "LinuxWeb".  If anyone would like to share their adventures, give
> their input
>    as to the format of the site, or any other ideas, send email to:

This is a super idea!  I'm about to dive into the installation, & will
attempt to keep coherent notes that may be of use in this endeavor.

Aside from a long-dormant desire to learn UNIX (I'm an old VMS and more
recently, NT guru), one of the things that has me most enthused about the
platform is the company it keeps . . . people who really give a damn about
doing something useful without some underlying motive to make a quick buck.
 I'd be pleased to donate my experiences, and some free time to help out.

1. Utility to convert PowerPoint "web pages" into real web pages?

I am in the process of converting all of my stuff into formats not dependent
upon MicroShaft shaftware so that I can ditch Windoze altogether and go
entirely to Linux and/or *BSD.  Mostly, it is just time-consuming, but I have
run into one sticky problem.

I saved a large MicroShaft PowerPunt document as a "web page" (from within
PowerPunt 2000), and found that (as I was afraid of) the web page is only
viewable on MicroShaft Internet Exploder 5.5 disService Pack 2 (maybe all 5.x
and 6.x -- didn't try them).  When I tried to view it under NetScape 4.7x or
kfm 1.x for Linux with KDE 1.x, I could not view the web page (except for the
very 1st slide in 1 case).  And yes, I did enable JavaScrapped in NetScrape,
although in one case this simply enabled the PowerPunt "web page" to cause
NetScrape to crash with a bus error.  And yes, when given the opportunity, I
did click on the link to bypass the MicroShaft error message that says that
earlier versions of Internet Exploder are not supported, and doesn't even
acknowledge the existence of any other web browsers (of course -- in a few
years, they'll be claiming that they invented the web browser).  (And yes, I
know that MicroShaft commands that you must have an Office 2000 license and
MicroShaft Internet Exploder 5.0 or later to view their "web pages", but
they can go HERE --> http://freespace.virgin.net/andrew.harrison4/.)

So, does any utility exist to convert one of these monstrosities into a real
web page?  Here are the possibilities I can think of (feel free to suggest
others, except don't suggest keeping Windoze and Internet Exploder around):

1.      A utility that does this automatically or almost automatically
        (preferred)
2.      Hack the files manually (way too much work unless someone knows
        a clever trick -- for instance a sed script to run the files
        through to remove the curse of MicroShaft)
3.      Try to find something that can read the original PowerPunt 2000
        document and convert it properly into a format that can then be
        exported as a real web page (a possibility, but not preferred
        because it requires installing a major software package for just
        this one conversion)
4.      Upgrade from kfm to Konqueror 2.x (I don't know if this would
        work, and even if it did, this is still not a full solution,
        because it would leave the web pages not viewable by NetScrape
        users)

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio

To get the exact address:                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Replace indicated characters with common 4-letter word meaning the same thing
and remove underscores (Spambots of Doom, take that!).

2. Out of diskspace when rebuilding binaries

3. Can't access Linux web server web pages from LAN client

4. another hint of post-merger direction, maybe

5. I can ping my web server but can't open page in web browser

6. configuring eth0 on RH kernel 2.0.31

7. Configuring a web link on a web page to run a Citrix .ica file

8. Travan Floppy drive on x86

9. Cannot access Linux Web Page or ping linux server from different subnet.

10. Paging Software for Web Paging & Monitoring

11. Setting up of WEB pages in a WEB site in UK

12. question regarding securing web pages on an internal web server

13. linux + NEC Versa, new web page