power off after shutdown command

Post by Franki » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 04:55:22

I installed RH7.1 on my system. When i give the command shutdown -h now the
computer closes and turns te power off (ATX).
Now i compiled my kernel and now the computer doesn't turn of the power
anymore, it stops with the message power down, but the power stays on. When
i boot with the original kernel it works ok, but is i boot with my compiled
kernel it doesn't work. Also another kernel version doesn't help.
I have the same problem with another computer running RH6.2

I tried to compile the kernel with APM on, off and other option regarding
APM, with no luck.

Does anybody have an idea ?

Frank.

Post by Peter T. Breue » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 05:50:52

> I installed RH7.1 on my system. When i give the command shutdown -h now the
> computer closes and turns te power off (ATX).

Did you want that? That sounds highly strange to me! If I wanted to
turn off the thing at the mains, I would.

Quote:> Now i compiled my kernel and now the computer doesn't turn of the power
> anymore, it stops with the message power down, but the power stays on. When

That's what's "supposed" to happen. You need an ATX powersupply if you
want to do any more, and you want to talk to it.

Quote:> I tried to compile the kernel with APM on, off and other option regarding
> APM, with no luck.

You don't need luck. Those are all the possibilities for compilation,
and they're unneccessary as compilation options since apm is a module!

Now what module params did you try? Did you make sure to disable apci?
(something that wasn't possible until recently, if you compiled it in).

Quote:> Does anybody have an idea ?

    *    1.1: support user-space standby and suspend, power off after system
    *         halted, Linux 1.3.98

    MODULE_PARM(debug, "i");
    MODULE_PARM_DESC(debug, "Enable debug mode");
    MODULE_PARM(power_off, "i");
    MODULE_PARM_DESC(power_off, "Enable power off");

and prove that apm is running.

Peter

Post by Kevin Hay » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:31:30

> I installed RH7.1 on my system. When i give the command shutdown -h now the
> computer closes and turns te power off (ATX).
> Now i compiled my kernel and now the computer doesn't turn of the power
> anymore, it stops with the message power down, but the power stays on. When
> i boot with the original kernel it works ok, but is i boot with my compiled
> kernel it doesn't work. Also another kernel version doesn't help.
> I have the same problem with another computer running RH6.2

> I tried to compile the kernel with APM on, off and other option regarding
> APM, with no luck.

> Does anybody have an idea ?

Works on my m/c I recompiled enabling "Advanced Power Management BIOS support"
as a module, also ticked (using make menuconfig) "Use real mode APM BIOS calls
to power off".

Loaded apm.o using rc.local (/sbin/modprobe/apm), checked it was loaded using
lsmod after reboot. The m/c (ATX) powers down correctly using the halt command.

There are certainly other better ways, but this works for me...

Kevin