MS-DOS <-> Null modem <-> Linux possible?

MS-DOS <-> Null modem <-> Linux possible?

Post by Shirley Ko » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have Linux (kernel 1.2.13) on one PC (machine A) and MS-DOS on another
PC (machine B).  The machine A has a 5.25" floppy drive whereas the
machine B does not.  I have a null modem to connect machine A to machine
B.  How can I make the machine B recognize machine A and be able to
access the 5.25" floppy drive on the machine A?

Please email to me.  Thanks.

Post by David Colquho » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I have Linux (kernel 1.2.13) on one PC (machine A) and MS-DOS on another
>PC (machine B).  The machine A has a 5.25" floppy drive whereas the
>machine B does not.  I have a null modem to connect machine A to machine
>B.  How can I make the machine B recognize machine A and be able to
>access the 5.25" floppy drive on the machine A?
>Please email to me.  Thanks.

The simple approch is to run a terminal programme on machine B (ie the
DOS one)
You could use TELIX , Procomm , ANSITERM  or many others.

This would allow you to login to machine A (the Linux one) and do
whatever you wanted.

If on the other hand , you want a drive sharing (A la Network) , then be
prepared to learn a lot more (I suspect) than you do now.

Cheers.

             I don't need to come , I'm on the internet.
              *** ALL replies to NewsGroup Please ***

Post by David Woodhous » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> >I have Linux (kernel 1.2.13) on one PC (machine A) and MS-DOS on another
> >PC (machine B).  The machine A has a 5.25" floppy drive whereas the
> >machine B does not.  I have a null modem to connect machine A to machine
> >B.  How can I make the machine B recognize machine A and be able to
> >access the 5.25" floppy drive on the machine A?

> >Please email to me.  Thanks.

> The simple approch is to run a terminal programme on machine B (ie the
> DOS one)
> You could use TELIX , Procomm , ANSITERM  or many others.

> This would allow you to login to machine A (the Linux one) and do
> whatever you wanted.

> If on the other hand , you want a drive sharing (A la Network) , then be
> prepared to learn a lot more (I suspect) than you do now.

I haven't tried this, but you might be able to run something like the $25
Network under dosemu, if you ask it nicely. That would give you simple drive
sharing, if you can get it to play.

       __    __          ____         David Woodhouse
       | \  /  \ \    /  |             Robinson College,
       |  | |--|  \  /   |--            Grange Road,
       |_/  |  |   \/    |___            Cambridge.

Post by William B. Hau » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: I have Linux (kernel 1.2.13) on one PC (machine A) and MS-DOS on another
: PC (machine B).  The machine A has a 5.25" floppy drive whereas the
: machine B does not.  I have a null modem to connect machine A to machine
: B.  How can I make the machine B recognize machine A and be able to
: access the 5.25" floppy drive on the machine A?

i'm not exactly sure, but can't you use an ftp client with a direct
connect?  just copy the info off the 5.25disks and store them temporarily
on the hardrive in, most likely, pub (or wherever an anonymous ftp can
get to it.)  then ftp from dos to linux and just download it.

if you actually need dynamic access to the floppy... well, that's a
little beyond my knowledge.

good luck...
bill

MS-DOS <-> Null modem <-> Linux possible?

Post by James Partingto » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: I have tried the null modem with BitCom but cannot get the login prompt,
: even though the inittab file had the serial port s2 uncommented and
: the uugetty running... Any pointer?

: Pengfei

Do you have the baud rates matched?
Do you have any mouse type software trying to look at that COM port? I
had hell trouble with Xwin, because in mucking about I'd set ttyS0 as
login line, and so the mouse wouldn't work... maybe something in reverse.

Cheers,
James.

--
|        I always thought double negatives were a bit of a no-no...          |