Adding SCSI card to Linux system

Post by Michael Eage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm running TurboLinux 6 (based on 2.2.13).
The system has two IDE drives.

I've added an Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller.  At the moment
it is connected to an external SCSI disk, later I'll connect
it to a tape drive.

I re-installed TurboLinux and setup found the SCSI controller.
Supposedly, it installed a kernel which suppored SCSI drives.

When the CPU starts, the 2940 BIOS starts and finds the disk.
When Linux boots, it doesn't find the SCSI controller.

I added an entry in modules.conf:
        alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

This still doesn't work.

/var/log/dmesg says "scsi : 0 hosts"
/proc/scsi/scsi contains "Attached devices: none"

Any suggestions?  (please reply by email)

1. Adding SCSI to an existing non-SCSI Linux system?

I've been using Linux for a while, but always on IDE/ATA-based
systems.  Now I'm considering dropping a SCSI adaptor into one
of the 4 Linux systems I run, but I'm not sure what doing this
properly might entail.

In installing Linux (it runs Red Hat 5.0) on the system
originally, I told it that no, I didn't have any SCSI adaptors.
If I were to drop a SCSI card into it, would it have any clue
what it was, or would I need to:

1. Grab an RPM containing the necessary files to use the card?
2. Grab GCC, download source files, and rebuild the kernel to
   support the card?
3. Do an "upgrade" and tell it I have SCSI?
4. Something else that requires even more work? ;)

-Dan

--
Dan 'Shag' Birchall, Moorestown, New Jersey.  Spam delenda est.
Made possible by Cannondale, NEC, Red Hat and viewers like you.

2. X-CDPlayer for IDE drives?

3. Adding a SCSI drive to BusLogic SCSI card causes timeouts

4. Mother Board recomendations for Linux?

5. adding SCSI disks to IDE linux system

6. my processes eat cpu instead of exiting

7. Adding SCSI to IDE System Linux 6.2

8. Ftape and IOMega 250

9. How I could add a new system call to linux or modify a system calls

10. Linux 2.5.24 and aic7xxx oopsing in ahc_linux_isr on system with LOTs of SCSI cards.

11. Add IDE CDRW to system with SCSI-host adapter AHA-1542

12. Adding IDE HD to SCSI 164LX system

13. adding IDE HDD to a SCSI-only RH7.2 system