VFS: cannot open root device 03:01

Post by shin » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I am getting the following error message on my PC running RedHat 5.1
upon boot up after a kernel recompile. I ran lilo before rebooting:

partition check
VFS: cannot open root device 03:01
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

I can get at the partition if I boot from the rescue disk and have
tried to check the check the lilo conf and to rerun lilo but it still
gives me the error.

Addiotionally I copied the vmlinuz to a dos partition and have tried
to use loadlin with various options but still no joy. Though
admitidely I'm not completely sure of what I'm doing!

Can anyone offer some assistance please
thanks
shin

VFS: cannot open root device 03:01

Post by gerhard kowa » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

is the root in the first 1024 ?
has kernel built in fs and driver (scsi)?
rebuild the kernel again!
tip: edit lilo.conf  and add the old kernel too (vmlinuz.old
,vmlinuz.new)
man lilo.conf

1. Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

This is the message I get when trying to boot Linux now. I recompiled a
new kernel and now it doesn't boot, it stops at this message. I have
compiled the kernel at least 4 times and everytime I get this. I can
boot the old kernel from a floppy. Do I have lilo setup wrong? Someone
told me I may have to do something with rdev and making a patch to the
new kernel with boot partition. I don't know what that means, but it
sounds like something I should try. Someone else told me to do something
with 'mkinitd'. I really need some more details, these vague
suggestions, while they are appreciated, are not really helping me.

Keith

2. Access -- a program to give permissions across logins

3. VFS: Wrong blocksize on device 03:01

4. net for dummies ? -- socks4 vs socks5 vs http-tunneling

5. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

6. CDE unlock

7. Kerner panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

8. Named Caching

9. Kernel panic : VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

10. Cant book "VFS: cannot mount parition error 3:01" blah!

11. DOS filesystem: kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount fs on 03:01

12. VFS: cannot open root device

13. Install Problems - VFS: Cannot open root device 02:1c