Very basic linux setup questions

Post by ls.. » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm running Win98 on a Pentium-II 400 with 128 megs of RAM.  I want to
install Linux, and the best way to go seems to be to stick in an old
400 Mb hard drive, wipe it, and put Linux on it.

With that in mind, I have some questions.

First, should I format the HD first, low-level format the HD, or leave
it as is and let Linux and/or the install process reformat that drive?
Should I wipe the small drive and then put DOS on it before I put Linux
on it (this seems silly, but....)?

Second, what's the best way to install Linux in this 2-drive scenario?
Should I take the Win98 HD off the cable entirely during the install?
Download Linux _to_ the Win98 drive and install to the smaller HD from
there?  Get Linux on a CD and set the machine to boot to the smaller HD
from the CD?

Third, I've been told that Linux can handle the dual-boot approach.  If
I want to have a choice between Win98 and Linux on boot up, do I have
to leave the Linux drive as the primary HD?  And does that mean I do
need to have the Win98 HD in the loop during the install?  (If it isn't
obvious, I have a ton of data on the Win98 drive that I *don't* want to
lose, though I will back it up before any of this).

Lastly, I access the internet via a DSL line that runs into a Kingston
NIC.  Will I be able to access the net in this fashion via Linux?

Thanks in advance for any info, help, suggestions, etc!

-LS

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Very basic linux setup questions

Post by CZ » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

> First, should I format the HD first, low-level format the HD, or leave
> it as is and let Linux and/or the install process reformat that drive?

  It may depend on the distribution you're installing but I've installed
both RedHat (5.1) and Slackware (can't remember which version) and both
let me partition/"format" the drives during installation.

Quote:

> Second, what's the best way to install Linux in this 2-drive scenario?
> Should I take the Win98 HD off the cable entirely during the install?

[snip]

  I installed Linux with windows on a single HD but I don't believe that
taking the Win HD offline is necessary.  Just make sure you understand
how linux names your drives and partitions (/dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 vs C:,
D: ...) before slicing everything up and creating the filesystems.

Quote:> If I want to have a choice between Win98 and Linux on boot up, do I have
> to leave the Linux drive as the primary HD?  And does that mean I do
> need to have the Win98 HD in the loop during the install?

  I don't believe that Linux needs to be the primary HD but I am
unsure.  The "normal" way to dual-boot (for me, anyway) is to use LILO.
What I did was install Linux so that it would boot off of a disk
(Windoze would boot without a diskette in the drive).  Once everything
was working nicely, I installed lilo so that I might dispense with the
boot disk.  To install lilo, check the lilo and lilo.conf manpages - and
all the documentation that is in /usr/doc/lilo-something if you really
want to know a lot about lilo!  It's pretty simple.

Quote:

> Lastly, I access the internet via a DSL line that runs into a Kingston
> NIC.  Will I be able to access the net in this fashion via Linux?

  I am clueless in that area :)

Hope this helps.

CZ

Very basic linux setup questions

Post by Alex La » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

(chopped)

> Lastly, I access the internet via a DSL line that runs into a Kingston
> NIC.  Will I be able to access the net in this fashion via Linux?

Linux flies on ADSL.

Alex Lam.

Quote:> Thanks in advance for any info, help, suggestions, etc!

> -LS

***     ***     ***     ***     ***     ***     ***
Remove all the upper case Xs from my email address if reply by e mail.
*If you receive any spam from my domain name. It's forged.
I DO NOT  send spam e mail. But I've found out that my
domain has been forged many times.

1. Questions with the Linux setup: CD-ROM, 2 hard drives (basic stuff)

Hello guys,

I have the Yggdrasil Plug n' Play Linux (Nov '94) and, before installing it,
I want to make sure that I can get everything making sense before I start
ripping the guts out of my machine (and then my hair).

1.) CD-ROMs
I don't have a CD-ROM yet, but I was wondering how Linux responds to a
CD-ROM which is connected to a soundcard instead of being connected to the
Motherboard (unless I buy another card that I can use to connect all my
hds, fds, and the cd-rom), because I have no more room.  Will there be
problems?

2.) 2 Hard Drives
I have 2 hard drives (240 Mb, and 850 Mb) connected in the master/slave
'tradition'.  Will Linux have any problems detecting both Hard Drives?

Thanks,
        John

2. installing solaris 7 on compaq presario 5600i

3. basic setup question

4. linux 1.2.13 and gcc 2.7.2 #!@##$!@!

5. GCC: basic setup question

6. compiling kernel 1.2.13:suspicious root dev

7. Basic modem setup question

8. [2.5.33] oops on futexfs mount

9. Basic setup question

10. Basic networking setup question