How to force incoming call mgetty/AutoPPP to always use ppp1 interface

How to force incoming call mgetty/AutoPPP to always use ppp1 interface

Post by Christian DELAI » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:31:43

Hello,

I use a RedHat 6 kernel 2.2.5 as a ppp server for PC clients under
Win95/98/NT. For that I use mgetty with the AutoPPP facility.
I also have a dialup ISDN connection to my ISP using DIALD and Ipchains for
my LAN
All is working very well.

My question is:
How to force the incoming call to always use pppd with ppp1 interface
How to force the ISDN call to my ISP to always use pppd with ppp0 interface

The problem is:
First case
If diald has already started a ppp link to my ISP using ppp0 an incoming
call will start mgetty/AutoPPP which will use ppp1
Second case
If the ISP link is not running
an incoming call will start mgetty/AutoPPP for use ppp0
and if diald start just after that, the ppp link to the ISP will use ppp1

So I want to force diald to always use pppd with ppp0 and mgetty/AutoPPP to
force pppd to always use ppp1
In the pppd man page I found the environment variable IFNAME, but How to use
it the right way ?

Thank in advance for your help,

--

Cognition France  1 Allee Jean Image 77200 TORCY
Tel:(33) 1 64 62 99 33    Fax:(33) 1 64 62 10 20

How to force incoming call mgetty/AutoPPP to always use ppp1 interface

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 01:22:46

Quote:>My question is:
>How to force the incoming call to always use pppd with ppp1 interface
>How to force the ISDN call to my ISP to always use pppd with ppp0 interface

As far as I know, you cannot do this. Why do you want to? Nothing you do
should depend on the interface name.

Post by Christian DELAI » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:28:13

> >My question is:
> >How to force the incoming call to always use pppd with ppp1 interface
> >How to force the ISDN call to my ISP to always use pppd with ppp0
interface

> As far as I know, you cannot do this. Why do you want to? Nothing you do
> should depend on the interface name.

I want to use IPCHAINS rules for my ISP connection. The rules script will be
started at boot time using rules like: IPCHAINS -i ppp0. the -i option
depend on the interface name. I think the kernel will be confused when the
ISP connection will be estblished sometime with ppp0 and sometime with ppp1
when ppp0 will be used by an incoming call.
I don't know how to proceed.
Thank for your help

How to force incoming call mgetty/AutoPPP to always use ppp1 interface

Post by Harm Croni » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:52:22

I use the dial-on-demand option with pppd for the connection to the
internet. I use my linux machine as a gateway to the internet for the rest
of the LAN (IP Masq. with IPCHAINS). When the pppd command is issued it sets
up a ppp0 interface and whenever there is some traffic for the internet the
connection is established. So pppd creates an inteface, also if there is no
link to an ISP. Perhaps after starting the ppp0 link for the internet, you
can start the dial-in services( I don't know how to configure dialin). I;m
using Redhat 6.2. I hope it helps.

Harm

> Hello,

> I use a RedHat 6 kernel 2.2.5 as a ppp server for PC clients under
> Win95/98/NT. For that I use mgetty with the AutoPPP facility.
> I also have a dialup ISDN connection to my ISP using DIALD and Ipchains
for
> my LAN
> All is working very well.

> My question is:
> How to force the incoming call to always use pppd with ppp1 interface
> How to force the ISDN call to my ISP to always use pppd with ppp0
interface

> The problem is:
> First case
> If diald has already started a ppp link to my ISP using ppp0 an incoming
> call will start mgetty/AutoPPP which will use ppp1
> Second case
> If the ISP link is not running
> an incoming call will start mgetty/AutoPPP for use ppp0
> and if diald start just after that, the ppp link to the ISP will use ppp1

> So I want to force diald to always use pppd with ppp0 and mgetty/AutoPPP
> force pppd to always use ppp1
> In the pppd man page I found the environment variable IFNAME, but How to
use
> it the right way ?

> Thank in advance for your help,

> --

> Cognition France  1 Allee Jean Image 77200 TORCY
> Tel:(33) 1 64 62 99 33    Fax:(33) 1 64 62 10 20

1. How to force incoming call mgetty/AutoPPP to always use ppp1 interface

[...]

2. BBS under WWW ?

3. Using Incoming Phone Call to Trigger Executable

4. Closing ports by closing services

5. mgetty : autoppp username

6. INND: SERVER cant dbzinit!

7. Mgetty, autoppp and psacct

8. FW: LSI Megaraid Serial ATA driver ...

9. AutoPPP/mgetty under Redhat 5.1

10. Mgetty & AutoPPP

11. mgetty/autoppp/winxp

12. redhat 6.0 mgetty and autoppp login