red hat 6.1 installation problem

Post by fluid 00 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

i tried to install red hat 6.1 on my computer..  i have paritition my
harddrive, so that i have a partition that's dedicate to linux.. the
program is when ever i entered the red hat's naming partition screen(i'm
not sure if i had the right name.. anyway, it's the windows that let you
select the size  i want to allocate for different linux partitions e.g.
root, ..etc..you get the idea..). i tried to allocate 1 gig to the root
directory, but the installer always give me an error and it only allows me
to allocate anysize that's bigger than 2 gig.. does red hat really need 2
gig for root file? is there anyway to set the root size to less than 2 gig?

red hat 6.1 installation problem

Post by Morris La » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

What program did you use? When you partition it, did you make sure that it's
either in the linux file system format (ext2 fs), or delete that empty dos
partition that you dedicated to linux?
There are a few choices in partitioning for Linux:
1. Create a dos partition, and delete it when you use the Disk Druid in the
Red Hat install to free up space and make a linux partition
2. use the fips utility, and chop it off from an existing DOS partition
(follow their instructions!)
3. Just make freespace with programs like partition magic, and allocate it
when using Disk Druid or the more arcane linux fdisk.
If these doesn't work, I dunno how to help ya
Calyth

Post by David . » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> i tried to install red hat 6.1 on my computer..  i have paritition my
> harddrive, so that i have a partition that's dedicate to linux.. the
> program is when ever i entered the red hat's naming partition screen(i'm
> not sure if i had the right name.. anyway, it's the windows that let you
> select the size  i want to allocate for different linux partitions e.g.
> root, ..etc..you get the idea..). i tried to allocate 1 gig to the root
> directory, but the installer always give me an error and it only allows me
> to allocate anysize that's bigger than 2 gig.. does red hat really need 2
> gig for root file? is there anyway to set the root size to less than 2 gig?

> --

No Red Hat 6.1 doesn't need even 1GB for root. I used less than a
200MB partition for / and then 900MB for /usr since this is where most
of your programs will go and a couple of other partitions none of
which were more than 400MB except for /pub which I set at 3000MB or
approx 3GB for any downloads and then just yesterday I moved the mount
point of /pub  to  /home/ftp/pub  for an ftp server.

When you partitioned your hard drive did you forget to delete the
partition that you made for linux??  Linux will format and partition
the space during the install.  Use DOS fdisk and delete the partition
you set aside for linux.  Linux doesn't overwrite another OS so if the
partition is a DOS partition then you have no space for linux.

example:  windoz partition has full disk:
        you cut into 2 partitions but both are still DOS/windoz partitions
        If you try to install Linux where can it write to? DOS/windoz still
        control the disk.

        Now delete the second partition with fdisk, this will free that space
        and give linux that space to write to.

Hope this helps!
--
 Due to SPAM the address above has been used for the SPAM ROBOTS!
 Sorry for the inconvenience!

1. Red Hat 6.1 Installation Problem

I tried to install Red Hat 6.1 on my machine, but
encountered the error "Boot Partition too big"
when I tried to set up a Linux Native partition.
The following is my configuration:

Win98SE with one 13GB harddrive partitioned into
C (formatted as FAT32) and D drives.  The primary
C drive has about 10.5G, and the extension drive
D has about 2.5G.

I got the Red Hat 6.1 CD that came with the
book, "Secrets of Red Hat Linux".  The following
is the procedure I did during installation before
I got the error message:

1. Deleted the D drive
2. Added a Linux partition with "/" as mount.
3. Enter 2.5G - 128M (the size of the RAM on my
machine) as the size.
4. Click OK and I got the error message.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Which version of egcs ?

3. Newbie: major Red Hat 6.1 installation problems...

4. jffs2 corruptions & memory consumtion

5. Newbie: Red Hat 6.1 installation problem

6. Ultra 2 disk size...can you go above 18 gb?

7. Red Hat 6.1 Installation problems

8. Copying Linux partition - how to?

9. Red Hat 6.1 installation problem #1

10. Installation Problem Linux Red Hat 6.1

11. Red Hat Linux 6.1 Installation problem

12. New Red Hat 6.1 installation on new big disk

13. Installation of JDK1.3.1 CE on Red Hat 6.1