Installing RedHat 7.2 in VMWare

Post by Fred Zimmerma » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 00:11:16

Has anyone installed RedHat 7.2 inside a VMWare virtual machine?

I have 2 questions:

1) Disk Type: Should I use Existing Physical Disk, or Virtual Disk for
selected disk type?  I have a 3.91 Gb partition on my IDE drive, that
will be used for nothing else but the
RedHat 7.2 Virtual Machine.

2) When I started installing RedHat on this VM, it asked me whether I
wanted to -

 Have the installer automatically partition for you
 Manually partition with Disk Druid
 Manually partition with fdisk

What should I choose here (ease of installation is important)?

Thanks in advance,

Installing RedHat 7.2 in VMWare

Post by Adam Leins » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:35:27

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:11:16 GMT, Fred Zimmerman

>Has anyone installed RedHat 7.2 inside a VMWare virtual machine?

Yes.

Quote:>1) Disk Type: Should I use Existing Physical Disk, or Virtual Disk for
>selected disk type?

Virtual Disk worked fine for me (if you pick this option you don't
have to re-partition your disk).

Quote:>2) When I started installing RedHat on this VM, it asked me whether I
>wanted to -

> Have the installer automatically partition for you
> Manually partition with Disk Druid
> Manually partition with fdisk

>What should I choose here (ease of installation is important)?

Automatic worked fine for me.

BTW, as soon I as I installed the Vmware tools and rebooted,
the login screen came up, then it reverted back and forth between the
XWindows login and the text based login ad infinitum, so during the
install I would suggest picking a text based login, then run XWindows
from the command line.

HTH.

Adam

Post by John Webe » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:26:01

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:11:16 GMT, Fred Zimmerman

>>Has anyone installed RedHat 7.2 inside a VMWare virtual machine?

> Yes.

>>1) Disk Type: Should I use Existing Physical Disk, or Virtual Disk for
>>selected disk type?

> Virtual Disk worked fine for me (if you pick this option you don't have
> to re-partition your disk).

>>2) When I started installing RedHat on this VM, it asked me whether I
>>wanted to -

>> Have the installer automatically partition for you Manually partition
>> with Disk Druid
>> Manually partition with fdisk

>>What should I choose here (ease of installation is important)?

> Automatic worked fine for me.

> BTW, as soon I as I installed the Vmware tools and rebooted, the login
> screen came up, then it reverted back and forth between the XWindows
> login and the text based login ad infinitum, so during the install I
> would suggest picking a text based login, then run XWindows from the
> command line.

> HTH.

> Adam

Hi,

I'm using vmware workstation 2.0.4 build 1142 on RH7.1. I tried to
install RH7.2 as a guest OS and it seemed to install OK, but when it
tried to boot, it gets to where the kernel loads and I get

VMware Workstation PANIC: NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(575):951

from vmware. Anybody gotten RH7.2 to work as a guest OS in vmware? I
couldn't find anything on www.vmware.com about it. I did a default
workstation install of RH7.2.

Thanks, John

Installing RedHat 7.2 in VMWare

Post by Adam Lein » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:45:58

[snip]

Quote:> I'm using vmware workstation 2.0.4 build 1142 on RH7.1. I tried to
> install RH7.2 as a guest OS and it seemed to install OK, but when it
> tried to boot, it gets to where the kernel loads and I get

> VMware Workstation PANIC: NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(575):951

I was using Vmware 2.0 at first to install RedHat 7.2, then I also got
a Vmware panic right at the point when it was trying to partition and
initalize the file system. Did a search on www.deja.com and it's a
known problem for RedHat 7.x. Try Vmware 3.0 and see if you have
success.

Another note:  I dropped the idea of running Linux in Vmware as it was
too slow.  I just keep Windows 98 under Vmware as it is so handy.

Adam

1. Installing RedHat 7.2 inside VMWare

Has anyone installed RedHat 7.2 inside a VMWare virtual machine?

I have 2 questions:

1) Disk Type: Should I use Existing Physical Disk, or Virtual Disk for
selected disk type?  I have a 3.91 Gb partition on my IDE drive, that
will be used for nothing else but the
RedHat 7.2 Virtual Machine.

2) When I started installing RedHat on this VM, it asked me whether I
wanted to -

 Have the installer automatically partition for you
 Manually partition with Disk Druid
 Manually partition with fdisk

What should I choose here (ease of installation is important)?

Thanks in advance,

2. incompatibility tar vs. winzip

3. VMware 3.0 and RedHat 7.2

4. Making another image

5. vmware 3.0 fails config.pl on redhat 7.2

6. Does one bad address spoil all the rest?

7. RedHat 7.2 firewall, FTP, VMWare, etc

8. Font antialiasing under XFree86

9. install problems, redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.2 on PC-104+ single board computer

10. Un Install Redhat 7.2 and back to Windows Install ?????

11. configuring gcc-2.7.2.x on redhat 7.2

12. RedHat 7.2 on THinkPad 7.2

13. RedHat 7.2 install: MSS set to 40