1. problem upgrading from Redhat 7.1 to 7.2
Hello all. I hope someone here can help me. ;) I've been using Linux
as my primary OS at work for about 6 months now, but still have lots
to learn. ;)
I have a Dell Pentium 4 with two 40-gig hard drives. Drive c: has
Win2k on it, and the other drive has a linux filesystem (at least it
did before I upgraded - haven't been able to look since). Before I
started it was running Redhat 7.1. I suppose I should also point out
that someone else initially installed the OSes on the machine, so I
didn't get to benefit from that experience.
Well, the upgrading went just fine all the way through until I got to
the part where I had to reboot. Upon booting, the computer makes it
just past the BIOS part of it, and then it says "LI" and hangs. The
linux boot floppy also doesn't work. I eventually made myself a Win98
boot floppy so I could get it to go somewhere at all (couldn't find
another computer that runs win2k), and found that on the boot floppy,
the "vmlinuz" file did not get updated. I think one of the stupid
mistakes I made was to try and use the same floppy that my 7.1 boot
was on to make the 7.2 boot. Should've just got a blank disk.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll find someone who is running a working 7.2 so I
can get a working boot floppy.
But that still doesn't solve the problem of why it won't boot from the
hard drive. The other thing I can think of that might have caused it
is, I decided to try the GRUB loader. In the install instructions, it
said if I was running win2k, I should put GRUB on the hdb5 partition
(or whatever it was) rather than the MBR. Guess I should've stuck with
my (working) LILO. :/
So does anyone have any suggestions? Tomorrow I have a vague notion to
try booting from the install floppy again and see if I can get it to
make another boot floppy, but other than that I don't know what to do.
2. Emacs to replace shell (was Re: VIP - vi plus emacs)
3. Upgrading from RedHat 7.1 to 7.2, I lost eth0 and X11
4. Bill and Newton
5. kernel panic on redhat 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 HELP!!!
6. Sun CC complier question (newbie)
7. Boot problem with RedHat 7.1, 7.2
8. Digital Tulip PCI on Redhat 5.1
9. Problem with RedHat 7.1 & 7.2 X setup on Dell Inspiron 8000+Geforce2 Go+ 1600x1200
10. Upgrading from redhat 7 to redhat 7.1 -- PainleSS??
11. Something broke in cciss driver from RedHat 7.1 to 7.2
12. HPFS module Redhat 7.1 & 7.2
13. RedHat 7.1 and 7.2 can't read partition table