Red Hat: hda, hdc, etc., native and swap, etc.?

Post by Bobby D. Bryan » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> in the installation of red hat linux, when ur in the "Current Disk
> Partitions" menu box, what does the hda1, hda5, hdc1, etc. mean? i'm
> assuming that it obviously has something to do with partitions on my
> comp.

hda is the first drive on the first controller, hdb is the second drive
on the first controller.  hdc and hdd are similar for the two drives on
the second controller.

The numbers are the actual partitions.  So hda5 is partition 5 on the
primary drive on the primary controller (which must be a logical
partition, since it is > 4).

Quote:> also, when i try to create a "Linux Native" partition of about 150 MB,
> (in the hdc1 drive) i get a message saying that it couldn't create the
> requested partition because there wasn't enough disk space. (This is
> supposed to be an empty unformatted 1.2 GB drive).

hdc1 *is* a partition.  Possibly it takes up your entire drive.

Quote:> When i try to make a "Linux Swap" partition in the same hdc1 drive and
> making the allowable drives only hdc and not hda and hdc; it makes a
> swap partition in the hda drive. how come?

Probably related to the above.  If you don't have existing data on one of
the drives, you probably want to re-partition it to make one partition
the exact size you want for your swap space.  Then during installation
you should be able to tell it the exact partition you want to use for
swap.  (If you're building a high-performance system, you might want to
put a swap partition of each of your physical drives.)

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texass

Post by Donovan Rebbec » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Partitions" menu box, what does the hda1, hda5, hdc1, etc. mean? i'm

hda is the first device on your primary IDE interface, eg your main
hard drive.

hdc is the first device on your secondary IDE chain. Probably a CDROM
( or an extra hard drive )

hda1 hda2 ... etc are the partitions on hda.

Quote:>also, when i try to create a "Linux Native" partition of about 150 MB,
>(in the hdc1 drive) i get a message saying that it couldn't create the
>requested partition because there wasn't enough disk space. (This is
>supposed to be an empty unformatted 1.2 GB drive).

If there are already partions on there, you need to erase them first.

--
Donovan

Red Hat: hda, hdc, etc., native and swap, etc.?

Post by Ani » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

hi
in the installation of red hat linux, when ur in the "Current Disk
Partitions" menu box, what does the hda1, hda5, hdc1, etc. mean? i'm
assuming that it obviously has something to do with partitions on my
comp.

also, when i try to create a "Linux Native" partition of about 150 MB,
(in the hdc1 drive) i get a message saying that it couldn't create the
requested partition because there wasn't enough disk space. (This is
supposed to be an empty unformatted 1.2 GB drive).

when i try to make a "Linux Swap" partition in the same hdc1 drive and
making the allowable drives only hdc and not hda and hdc; it makes a
swap partition in the hda drive. how come?

thanx
ani

Red Hat: hda, hdc, etc., native and swap, etc.?

Post by Ani » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

i was also told that my linux root has to be in my hda drive and not my
completely empty hdc1 drive. is this true? and:
i have windows on my hda partition-hda1, and the other unavailable drive
is hda5
if the linux root directory is put on hda, will i lose any data?
i've kept the whole of hdc for linux. so can i make it happen according
to this?

> [...]

> > supposed to be an empty unformatted 1.2 GB drive).

> hdc1 *is* a partition.  Possibly it takes up your entire drive.

> > When i try to make a "Linux Swap" partition in the same hdc1 drive and
> > making the allowable drives only hdc and not hda and hdc; it makes a
> > swap partition in the hda drive. how come?

> Probably related to the above.  If you don't have existing data on one of
> the drives, you probably want to re-partition it to make one partition
> the exact size you want for your swap space.  Then during installation
> you should be able to tell it the exact partition you want to use for
> swap.  (If you're building a high-performance system, you might want to
> put a swap partition of each of your physical drives.)

> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texass

Red Hat: hda, hdc, etc., native and swap, etc.?

Post by Jerr » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

My hda drive is Windows - my hdc drive is Linux. So I guess you were
told wrongly - or it may be true for your system. If hdc1 is empty why
don't you instal Linux and see ? seems like the best way to establish
the truth - it does mean you have to put some effort in though....

Post by j.. » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>i was also told that my linux root has to be in my hda drive and not my
>completely empty hdc1 drive. is this true? and:

        You can put the root partition anywhere. You just have to be
        able to boot into it. Lilo can be finicky. However, that does
        not look as if it will be a problem for you.

--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some    |||

                        Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

1. CDE vs. /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group

Hi,
Can anybody tell me what happens to the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and
/etc/group when DCE is installed?
I've seen images of these files and seems like CDE adds users & groups
with funny names like 'hosts/machine/group' and
'subsys/dce/dts-servers'.

If this is the case, how do the Solaris commands (useradd/mod/del,
passwd, etc.) get along with these weird users/groups?

/* EagleEye Control Software, LTD., Tel-Aviv, Israel                  */
/* .. I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my        ..*/
/* .. lawyer thinks he can get me five.        (Steven Wright)      ..*/

2. fdisk problems

3. ssh chrooted enviroment WITHOUT /bin /etc /lib - etc etc in the users dir ?

4. UnReal Audio

5. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

6. Popcorn and rabbits

7. 3.5 MO, zip, etc, etc, etc.

8. ATI Radeon 9000 Pro and X

9. ps/1, Lilo, etc etc etc problems w/ instalation

10. Looking for sample /etc/named.conf and etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

11. LINUX, 3COM ImpactIQ, ISDN, etc, etc, etc...

12. What is the correct procedure to transfer (hda+hdb) raid-1 to (hda+hdc) raid-1

13. What is the correct procedure to transfer hda+hdb raid-1 => hda+hdc raid-1 ?