Installing Java3D on Red Hat Linux 6.0

Post by Robert S Larame » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello out there,

I am having some problems installing java 3D on my Red Hat Linux 6.0 OS.

In the README file it says:

  "This version of Java 3D for Linux requires the following:
    - Recent version of MesaGL, typically available from your Linux
      distribution
    - Java2 SDK 1.2 for Linux .  This can be obtained from
        http://java.blackdown.org"

1.  I downloaded Mesa-3.0 from www.mesa3d.org.  I ran the makefile with

and it seemed to compile fine (with a buch of warnings).
However, when i tried to run one of the demos e.g.:

I get the following error:
GLUT: Fatal Error in bounce: visual with necessary capabilities not
found.

Does anyone know what I should do here?

2.  When I try to run one of the java3d demos e.g.:

I get the following error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/j3d/utils/applet/MainFrame
 at

I don't see this directory anywhere on my system.  Is there something
I'm missing (obviously)?  Is this because java3d expects the root user
to do

the installation? Any help anyone could provide would be much
appreciated.

-cheers, bob

--
Robert S Laramee                tel:    (603) 862-7632
14 McDaniel Drive, #515         office: (603) 862-0350

Post by Adrian Hand » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello out there,

> I am having some problems installing java 3D on my Red Hat Linux 6.0 OS.

> In the README file it says:

>   "This version of Java 3D for Linux requires the following:
>     - Recent version of MesaGL, typically available from your Linux
>       distribution
>     - Java2 SDK 1.2 for Linux .  This can be obtained from
>         http://java.blackdown.org"

> 1.  I downloaded Mesa-3.0 from www.mesa3d.org.  I ran the makefile with

> and it seemed to compile fine (with a buch of warnings).
> However, when i tried to run one of the demos e.g.:

> I get the following error:
> GLUT: Fatal Error in bounce: visual with necessary capabilities not
> found.

> Does anyone know what I should do here?

> 2.  When I try to run one of the java3d demos e.g.:

> I get the following error:

> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/j3d/utils/applet/MainFrame
>  at

> I don't see this directory anywhere on my system.  Is there something
> I'm missing (obviously)?  Is this because java3d expects the root user
> to do

> the installation? Any help anyone could provide would be much
> appreciated.

Bounce doesn't work with my system either - it requires indexed color
mode.
If I comment-out the three glIndexi() calls and the three glutSetColor()
and change GLUT_INDEX to GLUT_RGB in the glutInitDisplayMode() call, it
compiles and runs in B&W.

The gears demo works nicely though.  I've been tinkering around with
that one.

I've got Mesa 3.1 on my system - I don't remember where I d'loaded it,
but you might try:
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~brianp/Mesa.html

I haven't tried the java3d, but the class you're missing should be in a
.jar file that you probably need to d'load from java.sun.com

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/java3d-regis.html

Find the .jar file and put it in your $CLASSPATH.

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. mail binaries voor Sendmail (execmail) for 3.2 (How to get them from the CDROM)

3. Installing RealProducer Plus 6.0 in Red Hat Linux 6.0

4. how to replace 123} in the end of a line with the value incr $i?

5. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

6. Linux Counter: development over time

7. Question on a new Red Hat 6.0 Linux install

8. A debate Issue... One last word

9. Java3D on Red Hat 7.0

10. Red Hat linux 6.0 Install Problems

11. Red Hat Linux 6.0 Install Problem

12. I need help installing Linux (Red Hat 6.0) on partitioned HD

13. installing Java 3D on Red Hat Linux 6.0