Can any one help me with my 730M IDE,and Panasonic CD-Rom

Can any one help me with my 730M IDE,and Panasonic CD-Rom

Post by AL-TAMIMI, AR » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:10:00

HI
    This question is been asked a lot ,how can we let Linux recognize the 730MB
Western Digital Ide drive,when we  install it says  that the number of
cylenders are >1024,some programs may not work ,or some thing like that
,I tried to partition me system totaly in linux ,and it didnt work,and when I
tried to inforce it to have more 1024 cylender it syaes that the partion
has different ending

           My CD-ROM problem is that when I used to work with DOS 6.2, I use to
put its driver in config.sys in order to intialize it,then I use the program
mscdex.exe with some parameters to start it,but this program is not combatible
with Linux ,BTW my kernal version is 1.0.9,I dont know if the newset version
can detect me Panasonic CD-ROM ,if any one has an answer to any of my problems
please Email or post in this groub ,and I'll be thankfull
                                  thanks in advance

       oh yah,how can I get the newest version of the kernal and compile it
with the right parameters, thanks again

              -----------------------------------
                ------------------------------
                   -----------------------
                        ------------
                             --

Can any one help me with my 730M IDE,and Panasonic CD-Rom

Post by Peter Bollerm » Fri, 31 Mar 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>HI
>    This question is been asked a lot ,how can we let Linux recognize the 730MB
>Western Digital Ide drive,when we  install it says  that the number of
>cylenders are >1024,some programs may not work ,or some thing like that
>,I tried to partition me system totaly in linux ,and it didnt work,and when I
>tried to inforce it to have more 1024 cylender it syaes that the partion
>has different ending

Don't worry about it! just make sure you don't use the OnTrack DiskManager!

Quote:>           My CD-ROM problem is that when I used to work with DOS 6.2, I use to
>put its driver in config.sys in order to intialize it,then I use the program
>mscdex.exe with some parameters to start it,but this program is not combatible
>with Linux ,BTW my kernal version is 1.0.9,I dont know if the newset version
>can detect me Panasonic CD-ROM ,if any one has an answer to any of my problems
>please Email or post in this groub ,and I'll be thankfull
>                                  thanks in advance
>       oh yah,how can I get the newest version of the kernal and compile it
>with the right parameters, thanks again

The answers to your questions are very simple:
     -get the latest kernel source by ftp from
        tsx-11.mit.edu: /pub/linux/sources/system/v1.2/linux-1.2.2.tar.gz
     -unpack it in your /usr/src
     -read the files:   /usr/src/linux/README
                        /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide
                        /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.sbpcd
      and follow their instructions!

Good luck and enjoy

Peter

PS. You might want to check out the directory "/pub/linux/docs" on the
same ftp-site. It probably contains all the information you need.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
   than a frontal Lobotomy...........                          Tom Waits

1. HELP!:Zoltix Sound/Panasonic Cd-Rom and IDE Controller Support

I Need Help...Can Anyone Tell Me If There Is Support For The Zoltrix
Sound Card and The Matsushita Cr-562B Cd-rom..??..My Cd is connected to
my sound card. I've recently purchased Walnut Creeks Freebsd 2.1, and wish
to install it from The Cd. Also, I Have Aquired an old generic IDE
Cd-rom controller. Can any tell  me if this will work, or do I have to
buy a sound blaster 16??

2. SW RAID 5 Problem

3. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

4. Opening gif scanned in IBM with UNIX

5. CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

6. What does this mean?

7. Four Panasonic CD-ROM drives with one SBPro?

8. xref c-sources

9. Panasonic IDE CD-ROM usable under Linux?

10. Panasonic SQ-TC510N IDE CD-ROM Changer Possible

11. Need driver for Matsushita/Panasonic IDE CD-ROM

12. Problems with Panasonic IDE CD-ROM

13. CD-ROM IDE PANASONIC 12X