idiots guide to win NT4 + linux?

Post by Martin Walle » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

    I've got two 3.5GB disks and I want NT 4.0 on one and Linux on the
other, and ideally a dual boot system.

1.    Am I correct in thinking if I make the boot partition FAT16 I can
use LILO and dual boot NT and linux?

2.    And if I also make a large-ish partition  on the NT disk as FAT16
I can share files between the two?

3. Should I install NT first, then linux, or vice versa?

Thanks,

    Martin

Post by Jan Fredrik Leversun » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

>     I've got two 3.5GB disks and I want NT 4.0 on one and Linux on the
> other, and ideally a dual boot system.

> 1.    Am I correct in thinking if I make the boot partition FAT16 I can
> use LILO and dual boot NT and linux?

No, LILO writes itself to the master boot record on the first harddrive,
and it doesn't care about what kind of partitions you have.

Quote:> 2.    And if I also make a large-ish partition  on the NT disk as FAT16
> I can share files between the two?

Not really. It is the easiest way, but the latest developer kernels support
NTFS. Though, possibly only reading.

Quote:> 3. Should I install NT first, then linux, or vice versa?

NT generally dislikes the existance of other operating systems, so the
safest bet would be to install NT first. If you install Linux first, NT
will overwrite LILO when you install it, so it might be a good idea to have
a linux boot floppy handy so you can crank up your linux and reinstall
LILO.

--

Computer Consultant at BITS.
Phone: +47-55360592, Cellular: +47-90198866

idiots guide to win NT4 + linux?

Post by Scott C. Zimmerma » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

<snip>

> NT generally dislikes the existance of other operating systems, so the
> safest bet would be to install NT first. If you install Linux first, NT
> will overwrite LILO when you install it, so it might be a good idea to have
> a linux boot floppy handy so you can crank up your linux and reinstall
> LILO.

Well, that's close:  NT doesn't work and play too well with other
*non-MS* operating systems.  However, IIRC there is a Howto or
Mini-Howto floating around that details how to add Linux to the NT OS
Loader.  (My NT and Linux boxen are separate so I don't have any
experience with this, unfortunately.)

Cheers,

Scott
scott(a)earth.nexus.net

idiots guide to win NT4 + linux?

Post by Jan Fredrik Leversun » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Well, that's close:  NT doesn't work and play too well with other
> *non-MS* operating systems.  However, IIRC there is a Howto or
> Mini-Howto floating around that details how to add Linux to the NT OS
> Loader.  (My NT and Linux boxen are separate so I don't have any
> experience with this, unfortunately.)

Yup, I was trying to make it easy by not bringing up too many details. I am
running Windows 95, Windows NT and Linux on the same box using LILO. Windows95 is
generally the worst OS to make coexist with Linux, unless W95 was installed
first, and you obey the silly restrictions imposed by win95 (ie. only 1 primary
partition, win95 must be on that etc.). A far easier way to manage several OSes
is to install IBM Boot Manager or System Commander.

--

Post by Stev » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>    I've got two 3.5GB disks and I want NT 4.0 on one and Linux on the
>other, and ideally a dual boot system.

>1.    Am I correct in thinking if I make the boot partition FAT16 I can
>use LILO and dual boot NT and linux?

It doesn't need to be FAT16, but yes, you can do what you're asking
about
Quote:>2.    And if I also make a large-ish partition  on the NT disk as FAT16
>I can share files between the two?

Yes. You probably want to compile VFAT support into your kernel, in
order to make use of long file names etc.
Quote:>3. Should I install NT first, then linux, or vice versa?

I did it by installing Linux first, but I don't think it matters too
much, so long as you've got boot/emergency diskette for whichever you
install first.

Quote:>Thanks,

>    Martin

Hope that helps. email me direct if you want detailed instructions:

Steve

idiots guide to win NT4 + linux?

Post by Francisco Cribar » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Go to

    http://www.winntmag.com/

click on Search and enter Linux on the search box. Then, in the
list of articles, click on the link

    Dualboot

There, you will find a detailed description and to install NT and
Linux on the same box. (The article is dated March 1997.) Hope this
helps. FC.

--
Francisco Cribari-Neto          voice: +618-4535062
Assistant Professor             fax:   +618-4532717

Southern Illinois University    http://www.siu.edu/~econ/cribari.html

     I would like to get an education, but it may be too late:
     I already have my doctorate.

idiots guide to win NT4 + linux?

Post by Scott C. Zimmerma » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > Well, that's close:  NT doesn't work and play too well with other
> > *non-MS* operating systems.  However, IIRC there is a Howto or
> > Mini-Howto floating around that details how to add Linux to the NT OS
> > Loader.  (My NT and Linux boxen are separate so I don't have any
> > experience with this, unfortunately.)

> Yup, I was trying to make it easy by not bringing up too many details. I am
> running Windows 95, Windows NT and Linux on the same box using LILO. Windows95 is
> generally the worst OS to make coexist with Linux, unless W95 was installed
> first, and you obey the silly restrictions imposed by win95 (ie. only 1 primary
> partition, win95 must be on that etc.). A far easier way to manage several OSes
> is to install IBM Boot Manager or System Commander.

I tend to make things more difficult by bringing up too many details...
&:-)

I have heard numerous horror stories about people getting 95 and Linux
to co-exist, but I haven't tried it myself.  Some of my co-workers are
very happy with System Commander.  I used to tinker with OS/2 (v2.1 and
v3.0 Warp), but this was on dedicated (OS/2-only) machines.  (I think
this is the Boot Manager you mean.)

Scott
scott(a)earth.nexus.net

Post by Andy Thoma » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > 3. Should I install NT first, then linux, or vice versa?

> NT generally dislikes the existance of other operating systems, so the
> safest bet would be to install NT first. If you install Linux first, NT
> will overwrite LILO when you install it, so it might be a good idea to have
> a linux boot floppy handy so you can crank up your linux and reinstall
> LILO.

I have DOS, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Windows95, Windows NT4 and Linux
(RH 4.2) all on one disk on my laptop. I did quite a lot of experimenting
with installation order, etc and found Win95 was very intolerant of other
operating systems but NT4 was quite accomodating and even seemed to
encourage their existence!

For the record, I installed the operating systems in the order given above
and have had no problems.

Andy

idiots guide to win NT4 + linux?

Post by Alex P. Madarasz, J » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:57:25 +0000, Martin Waller

>    I've got two 3.5GB disks and I want NT 4.0 on one and Linux on the
>other, and ideally a dual boot system.

I've got similar goals and am about to do the same sort of thing.  There
are HOWTOs / Mini-HOWTOs on the subject of multi-booting Linux with other
OSs.

Quote:>1.    Am I correct in thinking if I make the boot partition FAT16 I can
>use LILO and dual boot NT and linux?

Which "boot partition"?  Linux's?  NT's?

In general, when considering multi-booting any two or more MS OSs it's a
good idea to make the first partition of the first disk FAT16 (especially
with NT 4, which can't grok FAT32, and with only read-only NTFS support for
Win95 and Linux so far - unless the WinTernals folks have their read/write
NTFSDOS ready).

However, it's not a _requirement_ that the first partition for NT be FAT16,
and it's definitely not the case that the Linux boot partition must be
FAT16.

Quote:>2.    And if I also make a large-ish partition  on the NT disk as FAT16
>I can share files between the two?

Yes, Linux can mount FAT16 and VFAT16, and there are patches for Linux
2.0.x FAT32 support (if you decide to try NT 5 / Win98).

Quote:>3. Should I install NT first, then linux, or vice versa?

From what I've read, NT first then Linux.  Put LILO on the Linux root
partition (not in the MBR).

Also, FYI, there's a tool for NT called BootPart which makes it possible to
(from within NT) grab the Linux boot sector and add it to NT's boot menu :

        <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm>

"
To add Linux

For Linux, you must install Lilo at the beginning of the Linux partition
(as with OS/2 boot manager) and then add the Linux partition with BootPart:

When you install Linux or run liloconfig, select "Superblock of the root
linux partition" as location of Lilo. In my sample, this adds the line
"boot=/dev/sdb4" on the file /etc/lilo.conf
"

Post by Jan Fredrik Leversun » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I tend to make things more difficult by bringing up too many details...
> &:-)

> I have heard numerous horror stories about people getting 95 and Linux
> to co-exist, but I haven't tried it myself.

I spent many a night battling with Windows95 before it accepted the presence of other
OS'es. Partition Magic was the solution. You have to hide all other primary partitions
while win95 is running. IBM Boot manager does this automatically.

Quote:>  Some of my co-workers are very happy with System Commander.  I used to tinker with
> OS/2 (v2.1 and v3.0 Warp), but this was on dedicated (OS/2-only) machines.  (I think
> this is the Boot Manager you mean.)

Yes, same boot manager, only installed from Partition Magic instead of OS/2. I hate
OS/2. =)

--

Post by Jim McCusk » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>> I tend to make things more difficult by bringing up too many details...
>> &:-)

>> I have heard numerous horror stories about people getting 95 and Linux
>> to co-exist, but I haven't tried it myself.

>I spent many a night battling with Windows95 before it accepted the presence of
> other
>OS'es. Partition Magic was the solution. You have to hide all other primary
> partitions
>while win95 is running. IBM Boot manager does this automatically.

Funny, I've never really had a problem with that.  All I did was install Win95
first (setting aside more than enough space for Linux) and then run the boot
disks.  Win95, it seems, if it's the first primary partition, does not care
about any other primary partitions.  It just ignores them.  I really don't
have a problem withg Win95 being first, because it's the only one that really
demands it.

Jim

--
              Jim McCusker | Class of '99, BA Cognitive Science

        ~What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.~
                       ~~Confucius 551 - 479 B.C.E.~~

idiots guide to win NT4 + linux?

Post by Peter Pflu » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Andy Thomas schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:>I have DOS, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Windows95, Windows NT4 and Linux
>(RH 4.2) all on one disk on my laptop. I did quite a lot of experimenting
>with installation order, etc and found Win95 was very intolerant of other
>operating systems but NT4 was quite accomodating and even seemed to
>encourage their existence!

Hi!

One question about Win95 and NT4:
I just wonder if it's possible to use one installation
of MS-Office for Win95 and NT or is it required to
install it twice times?

Peter

Quote:>For the record, I installed the operating systems in the order given above
>and have had no problems.

>Andy

idiots guide to win NT4 + linux?

Post by Tor Slettne » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

    Martin> Hi, I've got two 3.5GB disks and I want NT 4.0 on one and
    Martin> Linux on the other, and ideally a dual boot system.

    Martin> 1.  Am I correct in thinking if I make the boot partition
    Martin> FAT16 I can use LILO and dual boot NT and linux?

You can use LILO anyway, no matter what file systems are on the
partitions in question.

    Martin> 2.  And if I also make a large-ish partition on the NT
    Martin> disk as FAT16 I can share files between the two?

Yes.  Linux supports FAT16 (VFAT or MSDOS) read/write; there is also a
third-party add-on to access NTFS partitions read-only.

The Linux ext2 filesystem can be accessed read-only via a utility for
NT or Win95.

    Martin> 3. Should I install NT first, then linux, or vice versa?

Does not matter so much, but a good way would be to install NT first,
then Linux.  After installing Linux, you create/modify your
/etc/lilo.conf to allow booting either system, and run 'lilo' to
install the master boot record (MBR) on '/dev/hda'.

-tor

idiots guide to win NT4 + linux?

Post by Tor Slettne » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

    Jan> Yup, I was trying to make it easy by not bringing up too many
    Jan> details. I am running Windows 95, Windows NT and Linux on the
    Jan> same box using LILO. Windows95 is generally the worst OS to
    Jan> make coexist with Linux, unless W95 was installed first,

I installed Linux first onto a completely new system, then Win95.
Win95 does override the MBR (I don't think WinNT does), so after
having done so, I reran 'lilo' to have it written to the MBR again.

Just be sure that you have the following line in your /etc/lilo.conf:

      boot = /dev/hda

-tor

idiots guide to win NT4 + linux?

Post by Charles L. Scaglio » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998 18:47:52 +0100, "Peter Pflug"

>One question about Win95 and NT4:
>I just wonder if it's possible to use one installation
>of MS-Office for Win95 and NT or is it required to
>install it twice times?

Peter:

You'll have to install it twice because the Registries for Win95 and
WinNT are different.

However, there is no need to make two separate installations - that is
you can install the one for NT over the top of the installation for
Win95.  IOW, the same directory, drive etc.  Most applications can be
dual installed in that manner without difficulty.

There are some exceptions - so your mileage may vary.  However,
MS-Office will work that way OK.

1. Win 98, Linux, NT4, NT4 Server, Win2000 - how to partition disk????

Hi all,

I have just got delivered my first home PC  which comes pre-installed with
Windows 98.
fair enough,  says you..

Now I want to install...

    -    Red Hat Linux 6.1  (I am a novice )

    -    Microsoft Windows NT 4.0    and/or   Windows 2000
    -    Microsoft NT Server 4.0

Local hard-disk is:    20Gig    -    no partitions and Windows 98 installed
                                      2Gig    -    (aaah) and unformatted.

How can I partition the disk?????

                -    Is there some way in windows 98 - I dont think so....
                -    maybe install  NT 4.0 Workstation and then use Disk
Administrator?
                -    Does Red Hat Linux install program have a partition

Is there any traps ahead for me having such a  multi-boot system???

Any advice would be appreciated...    from those in the know....

Noel McLoughlin...

2. Routing / IP Masquerading Question

3. Is there a WinNT/Linux guide for idiots?

4. Help! My Boss is Going to "Go Postal"

5. idiot's guide to unix/linux

6. ksh and SunOS 4.1.3

7. Complete idiots guide to linux

8. XServer newbie question

9. need idiot's guide to networking with linux

10. compiling apache on linux & idiot's guide to proxy server?

11. Wanted Idiots guide or FAQ to networking 2/3 PC's using Linux.

12. idiot's guide to unix/linux