kernel 1.2.13 -> 2.0.31

kernel 1.2.13 -> 2.0.31

Post by Kira » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00



I am upgrading the kernel from 1.2.13 to 2.0.31.  I am getting a few
errors and I was wondering if someone could help me out.

The new kernel works fine, networking is fine, but I can't seem to ping
that machine from itself.  
I can ping all other machines within our network from that machine.
I can telnet to that machine from other machines, but I cannot telnet to
the same machine from itself.
I can go to other sites using netscape, or lynx from that machine.
But I cannot ping itself nor ping sites outside the network, though I can
go to those sites using netscape or lynx from that machine.  

Also a few third party programs compiled on the old kernel core dumps when
I try to run in the background.  

Any suggestions would help

Thanks

Kiran

 
 
 

kernel 1.2.13 -> 2.0.31

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00



> I am upgrading the kernel from 1.2.13 to 2.0.31.  I am getting a few
> errors and I was wondering if someone could help me out.

[various problems snipped, all more than likely caused by the fact that
poster didn't read linux/Documentation/Changes and upgrade the dozen or so
system components required to go 1.2 -> 2.0]

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net | PGP key available
paramount.res.wpi.net RH 5.0 kernel 2.0.33/2.1.80p2 i586 | at public servers
"I don't know why, but first C programs tend to look a lot worse than
first programs in any other language (maybe except for fortran, but then
I suspect all fortran programs look like `firsts')"
(By Olaf Kirch)

 
 
 

kernel 1.2.13 -> 2.0.31

Post by Matt Bancro » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00



>I am upgrading the kernel from 1.2.13 to 2.0.31.  I am getting a few
>errors and I was wondering if someone could help me out.

Your running lots of old utilities, that have various bugs, security
problems, and have some cool new features added in the present version.
You might consider updating to a new distribution of linux like
redhat5 or slakware3.4. But if the machine isn't connected to a network
and sees only ocassional use there's no real need to update.

Quote:

>But I cannot ping itself nor ping sites outside the network, though I can
>go to those sites using netscape or lynx from that machine.  

hmm

make sure that youve got the loopback device compiled into the kernel and
try the following commands as root

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.1 lo

 
 
 

kernel 1.2.13 -> 2.0.31

Post by Slava Pesto » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00




> >I am upgrading the kernel from 1.2.13 to 2.0.31.  I am getting a few
> >errors and I was wondering if someone could help me out.

> Your running lots of old utilities, that have various bugs, security
> problems, and have some cool new features added in the present version.
> You might consider updating to a new distribution of linux like
> redhat5 or slakware3.4. But if the machine isn't connected to a network
> and sees only ocassional use there's no real need to update.

> >But I cannot ping itself nor ping sites outside the network, though I can
> >go to those sites using netscape or lynx from that machine.

> hmm

> make sure that youve got the loopback device compiled into the kernel and
> try the following commands as root

> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> route add -net 127.0.0.1 lo

 It should be route add -net 127.0.0.0 lo .
 
 
 

1. strange problems 1.2.13 --> 2.0.0 --> 1.2.13

Hi,

I have some strange problems with the new kernel source tree...

after the installation of the new sysvinit-2.62 the linux-2.0.0 kernel
complains sh:/bin/bash cannot execute...
with 1.99.7 this works fine
and at least I'm totally unable to recompile the 1.2.13 source tree due
some strange asm errors in main occurring in asm/io.h referenced by
bugs.h  (also within the asm tree). Of course I checked the appropriate
links to for the linux source tree /usr/include/linux
                                                asm

Please help....
 Michael

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Michael Rietz                   |       Office: 13

        Werner Heisenberg Institut      |       phone:+49-(0)89-32354-242,
        Foehringer Ring 6               |                             415,411
        D-80805 Muenchen                |       fax:    +49 (0)89 3226704
                                        |
                            is there anybody OUT there...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. A simple shell script

3. Problem with NCSA-Telnet and kernel > 1.2.13

4. Looking for precompiled version of GUNZIP for IBM RS6000

5. Kernel 1.2.13: Files > 2MB via POP3 Brings Mail-Hub to its Knees

6. Videocard not present in xf86config-program

7. Problems with pppd and kernel > 1.2.13

8. FTP Messages not working.

9. from kernel 1.2.13 ---> 2.0.0

10. Help: Upgrade kernel 1.2.13->2.0.21

11. Kernel upgrade [1.2.13 ==> 1.3.45] breaks PPP

12. 1.2.13 -> 2.x.x Kernel and 2940 boot problems

13. NCSA httpd on kernel<>1.2.13?