New to Linux - can't create boot anywhere!!!!!

New to Linux - can't create boot anywhere!!!!!

Post by Jon Slate » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have 2 HDs:

WDCAC364006            6Gb            Primary master
Fujitsu MPC3064AT        6Gb            Secondary master

I've installed Win98 on primary master, and then Linux on the other,
but I am unable to create a boot disk or store boot in the first partition
or mbr during the install.

I've tried installing Linux on the primary with win98, and it works, but
what I really want is a harddrive for each.

I've also tried partitioning my primary with 1Gb for Linux root, with /home
/usr etc on the secondary master.

At some point, I'd probably find out by the law of averages, but I'd rather
not spend ages formatting/installing.

What the hell is going on??

Please Help

Jon

1. Can't create lilo boot floppy for 3rd SCSI disk but can boot it

I have Linux 1.2.8 installed on a IDE /hda2 as root with 2 SCSI disk
drives with MS-DOS and some additional linux partitions on a AHA1542.
I have now got a new SCSI HD and copied all the Linux onto the last SCSI
hard disk (ID:3), hoping to delete the IDE stuff. When I came to
install LILO on a boot floppy, it came up BIOS drive 0x83 may not be
accessible 3 times.

When I boot, I just get garbage but I did manage to re-mount the
/hda2 to / with a SCSI kernel recovery disk and created a SCSI boot
floppy and that works OK. Trouble is that I cannot install LILO
and I will need to change things in the future once I have deleted
my IDE partition. The LILO DOCs do not give specific guidance

Any ideas?

* On the Web: http://www.wlv.ac.uk/~cm4272/home.html *
* "Our Hamburgers are made with beef" - McDonald's   *

2. beginning linux

3. Linux installed with UMSDOS - can't create new users

4. Help! How do I load ip_conntrack_ftp?

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. problem w/UNIX and access to downloaded gifs

7. SOLUTION: Solaris 2.3: How to increase number of window sessions?

8. New kernel stops booting at ''finding module dependencies''

9. can't find 'wishx' anywhere?

10. Is SCO's 'ansi' definition documented anywhere?

11. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

12. how to create 98 boot image in linux thro' 98 backup