Supplementary disk not found in RedHat 5.2

Supplementary disk not found in RedHat 5.2

Post by Ben Garsi » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

        I have previously installed RedHat 5.0 with no problems. I now
wish to upgrade to 5.2 via an FTP install. The boot disk boots up
fine, but on inserting the supplementary disk, I get the message 'disk
not found'. Can anyone help?

My machine is a P100 with 16Mb RAM (not sure which motherboard, but it
is a Stak machine).

Thanks for any help

Ben

Supplementary disk not found in RedHat 5.2

Post by John Q. Publi » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Ben:

Perhaps your supplementary image file is corrupt?

You really shouldn't have a problem. Download the boot.img and supp.img
files from the redhat-5.2 distribution images directory and from a DOS
prompt, use rawrite to create them. They work fine.

..snip..

Quote:> I have previously installed RedHat 5.0 with no problems. I now
>wish to upgrade to 5.2 via an FTP install. The boot disk boots up
>fine, but on inserting the supplementary disk, I get the message 'disk
>not found'. Can anyone help?

..snip..

Supplementary disk not found in RedHat 5.2

Post by Ben Garsid » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I thought of this too, so I tried using the same boot and supplementary
disks on another machine. They both worked fine. (Both created using
rawrite). I really don't understand why it won't work. Perhaps I have a
hardware problem ???

Ben

>Ben:

>Perhaps your supplementary image file is corrupt?

>You really shouldn't have a problem. Download the boot.img and supp.img
>files from the redhat-5.2 distribution images directory and from a DOS
>prompt, use rawrite to create them. They work fine.

>..snip..

Supplementary disk not found in RedHat 5.2

Post by John Q. Publi » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

At this point, test your assumption by attempting an installation on another
PC. Note that you really won't have to install anything to check that the
boot and supp diskettes are OK. Just run through the proceedure prior to
modifying anything on the target disk drive and you shouldn't harm anything.

>I thought of this too, so I tried using the same boot and supplementary
>disks on another machine. They both worked fine. (Both created using
>rawrite). I really don't understand why it won't work. Perhaps I have a
>hardware problem ???

Supplementary disk not found in RedHat 5.2

Post by Ben Garsi » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I already tested using the boot and supplementary floppies on my main
PC (unfortunately running windows!). Anyway, the boot floppy worked
fine and on selecting the ftp install the supplementary disk was
detected and loaded OK. At that point I stopped before having to
reformat my drive. But it proves that the floppies I made work OK, but
not on the PC I want them to work on (my secondary PC). So, does this
mean a hardware problem??? If o, is it time to throw it on the
scrap-heap? However, I still do not understand why the boot floppy is
read fine, but the supplementary is not found even if it is a hardware
problem.

Ben

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:52:05 -0500, "John Q. Public"

>At this point, test your assumption by attempting an installation on another
>PC. Note that you really won't have to install anything to check that the
>boot and supp diskettes are OK. Just run through the proceedure prior to
>modifying anything on the target disk drive and you shouldn't harm anything.

Supplementary disk not found in RedHat 5.2

Post by Corey Johnso » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

You too huh?.. I have a laptop and a desktop.... I have RH4.2 on the laptop but
cannot get 5.1 to load... but the both disks work fine on the desktop...