TritonII+6x86+Award bios=root disk problems, HELP NEEDED!!!

TritonII+6x86+Award bios=root disk problems, HELP NEEDED!!!

Post by Wayne Clemi » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I currently have a working Linux 2.0.0 system with X11R6 booting with
LILO installed on the MBR of my first Hard disk (/dev/sda1)
When I first installed Linux on the system I used the Advansys.144 boot
disk (From ftp.advansys.com for my Apb940 PCI SCSI controller card) and
the color.gz disk from the linux 3.0elf distribution.

However since upgrading my motherboard to a triton II With 4.50pg Award
Bios with PB cache (from Triton 1 with 4.50pg Award Bios & std Async
cache) and my processor to a Cyrix 6x86 P150+ (From a pentium 100) I am
unable to boot "any" root disk from the advansys boot disk.
(However I can still use "mount root=/dev/sdb1" at the boot disk's LILO
prompt.)
the message I recieve at the boot/root disk change is:

VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 12,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022]
[me=0x9d,cs=7320,#f=150,fs=34052,fl=7700,ds=9404,de=20416,data=10685,se=48597,ts=-2135130048,ls=31644]
Transaction block size = 512
Kernel panic:VFS unable to mount root fs on 02:1c

Does anyone know what this error is?

I have checked my regulator voltage on my motherboard is set to 3.3v not
3.48 volts as suggested by Fred Tam (Via E-Mail) and all seems Ok?

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards
Wayne

TritonII+6x86+Award bios=root disk problems, HELP NEEDED!!!

Post by Ryurick M. Hrist » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

[ ... ]

: unable to boot "any" root disk from the advansys boot disk.
: (However I can still use "mount root=/dev/sdb1" at the boot disk's LILO
: prompt.)

[ ... ]

: Does anyone know what this error is?

It happened to me as well. After a remote shutdown, the root partition
refused to mount as root partition no matter what I did. Hoever it mounted
well as secondary one. Now, fortunately, I had a full tape backup from
one day before. I nuked the partitions and restored from tape. Was Ok.

I suspect that one kind of "flag" was not reset properly and the root FS
mounting procedure was somehow fooled and refused to mount it ar root FS.

: Thanks in advance for any help

I'm afraid only a backup will help you.

Any way GOOD LUCK :)

Ryurick M. Hristev            ()..()/^\/^\

1. TritonII +Cyrix 6x86 Root disk problems

I currently have a fully working linux 2.0.0 system, but since I have
upgraded my motherboard and processor (Triton II & Cyrix 6x86 P150+) I am
unable to load "ANY" root disks from a boot floppy.
(Upgraded From Pentium 133 with Triton fx chipset)
after placing the root disk into the drive the system gives me a boat
load of processor or exemption type errors then the Kernel panics and
halts the system.(The kernel VFS error number was 2:1)

When I originally installed linux on my system I booted from the Advansys
boot disk (advansys.144 for slackware 3.0.0Elf), and the standard
color.gz root disk from the slackware 3.0 CD-ROM with no problems. My
system configuration is identical, with the exception of the Processor
and Motherboard, as when I originally installed Linux.

I.E.
32Mb of standard (FPM 70ns) ram
Sound Blaster 16 ISA adsp sound card Advansys APB940 PCI scsi card
GrafixStar 400 PCI Graphics card
3c509 ISA ethernet card.

Does anyone out there know of any incompatibilities with the Cyrix chips
or the Triton II chipset &/or Award 4.50pg bios.

Thanks in advance
Wayne.

2. CD-R: Linux read-only system

3. TritonII +Cyrix 6x86 Root disk problems!!!

4. Message Linux---->Novell

5. Award BIOS/32 GB disk limitation

6. Xwindows problems with Geforce 4

7. Award Bios And PCI Motherboards - PROBLEM!!

8. Apache configuration

9. Award Modular BIOS and 3COM 509B ethernet card problems??

10. BIOS problem (Award)

11. Lilo Problem w/ Award plug and play bios

12. problem installing 2.5 on MP x86 (Award bios bug?)

13. Award Bios help