Where's the 'config' in 'make config'?

Post by Tom Birkenbac » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'm fairly new in this exciting world of Linux, so please don't think
this question 'too stupid to deserve a reply'...  Thanks.
  As the subject suggests, I'm trying to re-compile my kernel so that it
has network support for a HP PCI network card and sound support for an
Ensoniq PnP sound card.  I've downloaded the full 2.0.27 source package
and unziped it only to find no 'config' for the 'make config' command.
  I've linked in the needed directories as described in the README file,
I've got 2.0.7 of gcc, am I missing something?  Any info on this would
be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!!

Tom Birkenbach

Post by Peter F. Curr » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>I'm fairly new in this exciting world of Linux, so please don't think
>this question 'too stupid to deserve a reply'...  Thanks.
>  As the subject suggests, I'm trying to re-compile my kernel so that it
>has network support for a HP PCI network card and sound support for an
>Ensoniq PnP sound card.  I've downloaded the full 2.0.27 source package
>and unziped it only to find no 'config' for the 'make config' command.
>  I've linked in the needed directories as described in the README file,
>I've got 2.0.7 of gcc, am I missing something?  Any info on this would
>be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!!

>Tom Birkenbach

Hi Tom,

   Typing "make config" starts the make program working on
the Makefile in the linux source root directory.  "config" is
passed as a command line parameter to the "make" program which
tells it that it should look for the commands specified by "config"
in the Makefile and ensure their outputs are all up to date.  To
do this, the make program executes a shell script which asks you
questions about kernel configuration.  Hope this helps.

   - Pete Curran

1. can't compile gnome - "'gtk-config' script not found"

I'm trying to compile my entire system from the ground up - it's been an
interesting challenge, but I'm pretty surprised as to how (relatively)
easy it's been.  However, I'm trying to compile Mozilla, and I keep
getting the error message (when I run "./configure"):

**** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
**** if gtk was installed in PREFIX, make sure...

blah-blah-blah

I'm sure I have GTK installed (GTK+, in fact), and it's in the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH (else I wouldn't have been able to
compile PAN).  I've searched far and wide and can't find "gtk-config"
anywhere in either my system nor in the GTK distribution.

Any idea what it's looking for?

Thanks!

2. Linux hates my Video Card?

3. 'make config' Doesn't work in RH 5.2?

4. Cave: lilypond-1.2.0-1.ppc.rpm breaks C shell (tcsh)!

5. 'modem busy' problem; can'f config Moto ModemSurfer

6. Probleme dtterm with Terminal X NCD

7. 'make config' doesn't work

8. How to use ioctl Command for redirection

10. Making 'nobanner' Default in V.3.2 'lp'

11. 'double' or 'dbl' or 'dble', the disk space utilty

13. What is 'stty', 'term' & 'tty'