Suggest a distribution for 386SX/387 laptop?

Suggest a distribution for 386SX/387 laptop?

Post by Theodore Moo » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

While dumpster diving, managed to fish out a healthy looking Zenith
MastersPort386SLe.  Hardware specs are as follows:
CPU:   80386-25MHz with 387 math coprocessor
BUS:   ISA
VID:   VGA
KEY:   IBM enhanced 101
MOUSE: ps-2
RAM:   8MB
HDD:   138MB
The problem is that the HDD has all this NDW/WinDoze/DOS crud eating up
the drivespace.  Can anyone tell me if this is an adequate platform for a
Linux box?  Any recommendations for which distribution might be best for
this machine and a VERY new Linux user who wants to run WP apps and PPP
connection to the Internet, mostly clientside but mebbe an occasional ftp
server.  Any recommendations on above application/clients?  Thanks in
advance for your advice!

Post by Louis J. LaBash J » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

|While dumpster diving, managed to fish out a healthy looking Zenith
|MastersPort386SLe.  Hardware specs are as follows:
|CPU:   80386-25MHz with 387 math coprocessor
|BUS:   ISA
|VID:   VGA
|KEY:   IBM enhanced 101
|MOUSE: ps-2
|RAM:   8MB
|HDD:   138MB
|The problem is that the HDD has all this NDW/WinDoze/DOS crud eating up
|the drivespace.  Can anyone tell me if this is an adequate platform for a
|Linux box?  Any recommendations for which distribution might be best for
|this machine and a VERY new Linux user who wants to run WP apps and PPP
|connection to the Internet, mostly clientside but mebbe an occasional ftp
|server.  Any recommendations on above application/clients?  Thanks in
|advance for your advice!

Yes, I would recommend MCC-1.0+ (Linux-lite) for this machine.  It's
a small stable distribution created by Owen LeBlanc to which you can
add packages, and his documentation is excellent.

Also, you might look a Paul's web-page:
   http://rsphy1.anu.edu.au/~gpg109/mem.html#ksw   Memory Savers

BTW: I've been using this distribution, much mutated, for about two years.

Hope this is of some utility.
--

1. Suggest 387 chip for Linux?

Can someone suggest an inexpensive 387 chip to replace my buggy ULSI
Math*Co chip?  I'll be going home to Oklahoma in less than a week (and
will have no more net.access :-( ), so I'd prefer addresses for reputable
mail-order firms, or if you can suggest a part that I can hop down to
Tulsa and pick up at Circuit City or something I'd be grateful.  Cost is
an issue, since I'd also really like to get 4 more Megs of memory for my
currently 4-Meg system, and as a student I am typically low on cash (I
plan to use an $80 income tax return for some of this.  I *knew* the IRS
had a purpose! ;-).

Oh, and the chip will need to work with a Cyrix 486DLc-33MHz CPU.

Thanks for any help!

--
,-----------------------------------------------------,--------------,

| *Finger for PGP public key. Encrypted mail preferred* | attachments|
|   http://bert.cs.byu.edu/~allredcg/allredcg.html      `-, accepted |
| "Anyone capable of getting themselves elected president |_________/'
`\  should on no account be allowed to do the job." -DNA /'

2. IBM ThinkPad -- 8bit color and/or external high-resolution mode

3. Tiny distribution for 386sx w/ 4MB?

4. Solaris 9 logs

5. 387 problem

6. Advice sought - ISDN modems, proxy servers and firewalls

7. Linux finds a nonexistant 387

8. hp2pbm package

9. Anyone using a Cyrix 387 clone out there?

10. 386/387 coupling ...

11. IIT 387 problems

12. PROBLEM WITH COPROCESSOR 387 AND IRQ13.....HELP!

13. Cyrix 387 error reporting broken