Western Digital Caviar HD and 2048 Cylinders in Linux

Post by Mark Lo » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I've got a Western Digital Caviar 1.2 gig drive.  I formatted it
>under
>DOS and it was only formatted to 621 cylinders.  The drive actually
>has 2484 cylinders.  When I initially installed Linux from Slackware
>3.0, I tried to use fdisk to change the number of cylinders that
>Linux saw.  This didn't work for me though.  When I would reboot, it

Why would you do that?

For the system to work reliably, both DOS and Linux must have the same
view of how the disk is laid out; otherwise they may destroy each other's
files.

Sounds like your DOS sees 621x64x63, while the drive itself is 2484x16x63.
Either of these multiplies out to the same number of sectors, so the entire
disk is accessible.  Let Linux also use 621x64x63 and Be Happy.
--

For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide
For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]

Post by Jason Edward Isbel » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I've got a Western Digital Caviar 1.2 gig drive.  I formatted it
under
DOS and it was only formatted to 621 cylinders.  The drive actually
has 2484 cylinders.  When I initially installed Linux from Slackware
3.0, I tried to use fdisk to change the number of cylinders that
Linux saw.  This didn't work for me though.  When I would reboot, it
still only saw 621 cylinders.  I've recently require a newer version
of fdisk (3.04).  I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences
similar to mine and if so knows if fdisk3.04 would solve my problem.
I mainly am wondering if it would be worth the trouble of backing up,
repartitioning, and restoring, to get Linux to see it as having 2484
cylinders (i.e., will I see a speed advantage, an increased
efficiency, etc...?)

Many Thanks,

--
Jason Isbell

WWW: http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~jei9070/jason

Post by Andries Brouw » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: I've got a Western Digital Caviar 1.2 gig drive.  I formatted it
: under
: DOS and it was only formatted to 621 cylinders.  The drive actually
: has 2484 cylinders.  When I initially installed Linux from Slackware
: 3.0, I tried to use fdisk to change the number of cylinders that
: Linux saw.  This didn't work for me though.

When everything works, keep things alone, it can only get worse.
The 621 is fake, the number of heads will have been quadrupled,
just to please DOS.

Post by Karl S. Kle » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: : I've got a Western Digital Caviar 1.2 gig drive.  I formatted it
: : under
: : DOS and it was only formatted to 621 cylinders.  The drive actually
: : has 2484 cylinders.  When I initially installed Linux from Slackware
: : 3.0, I tried to use fdisk to change the number of cylinders that
: : Linux saw.  This didn't work for me though.

: When everything works, keep things alone, it can only get worse.
: The 621 is fake, the number of heads will have been quadrupled,
: just to please DOS.

621 cylinders is the correct configuration to use this drive with both
DOS and Linux.  Wish I had known that the first time I installed my
software! :)

--

"Hours to go before the Dawn"

1. Western Digital Caviar HD and 2484 Cylinders in Linux

I've got a Western Digital Caviar 1.2 gig drive.  I formated it under
DOS and it was only formatted to 621 cylinders.  The drive actually
has 2484 cylinders.  When I initially installed Linux from Slackware
3.0, I tried to use fdisk to change the number of cylinders that
Linux saw.  This didn't work for me though.  When I would reboot, it
still only saw 621 cylinders.  I've recently require a newer version
of fdisk (3.04).  I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences
similar to mine and if so knows if fdisk3.04 would solve my problem.
I mainly am wondering if it would be worth the trouble of backing up,
repartioning, and restoring, to get Linux to see it has having 2484
cylinders (i.e., will I see a speed advantage, an increased
efficiency, etc...?)

Many Thanks,

Jason Isbell

WWW: http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~jei9070/jason

2. last login informations mangled ?

3. Western Digital 80GB Caviar Hard Drive with 8MB Cache v.s Linux

4. Any good software for small business on Linux

5. western digital caviar and linux

6. LCP problem (Linux 2.1.131, pppd 2.3.5)

7. memory mapped I/O

8. Linux and Western digital caviar/Ontrac drive

9. Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

10. Via VT8233C + Western Digital Caviar = corruption hell?

11. Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

12. Western Digital Caviar 1 gig & Busmouse problems :) (sorry)