boot hangs during "partition check"

Post by Chris Bran » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I've got a problem which seems to be due to the interaction of a PCI
card and the linux kernel version.
I've got two versions of the kernel I can boot : a redhat distribution
(2.2.5-14) and one I downloaded (2.2.14).
I've also got a DSP PCI card.
I can boot the 2.2.5-14 kernel fine with or without the card installed.
I can boot the 2.2.14 kernel fine without the card installed.
With the card installed, the boot process *usually* gets as far as
"Partition check : hda:" and then hangs.
On the rare occasion when it gets further, everything seems fine except
that the initialisation of eth0 fails and ifconfig doesn't think the
ethernet card exists.

I really don't know where to start looking.
Can anyone help ?

Thanks,

Chris