Getting Started with PPP and Linux.

Post by A.J Grego » Mon, 22 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me where to get linux-ppp-2.1.2

I looked on the sun site but I didn't see it.

Thanks!

Arthur Gregory

1. Getting started with Linux and PPP

        I'm just finishing download Linux (yes, I'm too cheap to buy the CD
<grin>) and I have a few questions.  My provider (the university) has a
somewhat lax view on connections.  Using the 28.8k pool, I can keep a
connection for 8 hours unless they detect a 30-minute idle in which case they
drop the connection.  This is what I wish to do:

1) Keep an almost 24-hour-a-day connection.  About every 7.5 hours, I want to
   have a script drop carrier and call back immediately.

2) Poll for new mail and download it when it is detected (and to help defeat
   the timeout).

3) About 2:00am - 3:00am, download new articles in selected newsgroups.  This
   would allow me to go through mail at my leisure and not have to worry about
   high network traffic during peak hours.

4) Perhaps run a small FTP site off-hours (1:00am - 6:00am).

        Is any/all of this possible with Linux using PPP?  If so, what
applications would I need?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, a reply via e-mail would be great.  I don't have a lot of time and this
groups sometimes gets skipped over.

Andrew Lee

2. ATX boards and restart after power failure

3. Trouble getting started with PPP

4. Who am I?

5. Getting started with PPP on Gateway 2000 PC

6. Mirroring rootvg with distributed paging spaces?

7. Trouble getting started w. ppp dialup

8. need NAT help please................

9. linux, PPP, AT&T Worldnet - looks like PPP does not start???

10. !!Getting rid of auto start programs at start/Dialing up freeserve!!

11. Getting programs to start when X starts?

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. HELP: fetchmail gets stuck getting mail over PPP