How do I install Linux????

Post by Bart Smit » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Can someone help me on installing Linux on a system running Windows 95.
I've read several of the Linux FAQ and still can't seem to even begin
installing Linux.  I could really use very detailed versions for everything
from partitioning my drive, downloading some version of Linux, setting up
X-windows, and configuring Linux.  (pretty much everything).  If anyone can
find time to type out such detailed instructions, I would be very grateful.
 Thanks

********
 Bart Smith
 NCSU
 http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/b/bvsmith/homepage/index.html
*******

How do I install Linux????

Post by Jurgen Exne » Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Can someone help me on installing Linux on a system running Windows 95.
> I've read several of the Linux FAQ and still can't seem to even begin
> installing Linux.  I could really use very detailed versions for
everything
> from partitioning my drive, downloading some version of Linux, setting up
> X-windows, and configuring Linux.  (pretty much everything).  If anyone
can
> find time to type out such detailed instructions, I would be very

grateful.

You know, that you are asking for an at least three volume book?
As it is not recommended to post a three volume book in a newsgroup, I will
restrict myself to a meta answer.

There is a very good introductional book from Matt Welch:
        Linux Installation and Getting Started Guide"

I strongly suggest you to read this book. It really explains everything,
what you need to know as a novice.

jue

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. RH 5.2 set its own partitions

3. HOw to install Linux with WinNT & Dos pre-installed.

4. Disable buffer cache

5. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine

6. Hola

7. HELP: Installing FreeBSD from DOS partition -- Installer can't find the install files

8. IBM 6091-19 MONITOR

9. slackware 3.5 install - install from win95/dos hard drive?

10. Problems installing by CDROM/Problems installing by DOS partition

11. After Linux install, can't boot DOS -- even from floppy !?

12. Can I install Linux & DOS w/o formating?

13. Install from DOS partition, but want full Linux