Network setup

Post by K.D'z new » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am running just a regular peer to peer network and i want to have my linux
slackware to be a file server as well as a router for my 2 other win 95
machines.  I have 2 win 95 machines with no modems and a network card.  i
have a linux machine with the same network card and a 56k modem.  i want to
be able to browse the web with win95 through my linux machine.  does anyone
know how to set this up?  or even if its possible.  if you have any feed
back please send it to me thank you

Network setup

Post by Lew Pitche » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I am running just a regular peer to peer network and i want to have my linux
> slackware to be a file server as well as a router for my 2 other win 95
> machines.  I have 2 win 95 machines with no modems and a network card.  i
> have a linux machine with the same network card and a 56k modem.  i want to
> be able to browse the web with win95 through my linux machine.  does anyone
> know how to set this up?  or even if its possible.  if you have any feed
> back please send it to me thank you

For file and print serving, take a look at Samba. It provides support
for the
SMB protocol used by 'Microsoft Networks' / Lan Manager. The SMB-HOWTO
may
have come with your Linux distribution. The main Samba distribution site
is
in Australia, but a websearch will find them (key 'Samba' and 'SMB')

For Internetworking, you'll probably need to look at...
a) the NET-3-HOWTO,
b) the Firewall-HOWTO,
c) the ISP-HOWTO, and
d) the IP-Masquerade mini howto
Briefly, unless you're rich or lucky, you only get one IP address for
your
Internet access. You have to configure your Linux machine to share
access
to the internet by masquerading your other hosts IP addresses as the
Internet
IP address. The mechanisms to masquerade your IP addresses are buried in
the
Firewall setup (Firewall-HOWTO and IP-Masquerade mini howto), while the
details about ISP hookups are buried in  NET-3 and ISP howto's

--

Lew Pitcher        |  If everyone has an angle, why
Joat-in-training   |  are most of them so obtuse?

1. Firewall setup - ?network setup during installation

Hi

I am a beginner.

I could install the OpenBSD 2.6. However in the network setup during the
installation I wasn't quite sure what to do.
I want to use it as a firewall to protect a windows-network.

My setup:
1 NT Server, 4 WS
Firewall (Openbsd, Squid, Openssh, QMail) => connected with NT-Server,
not part of the windows network

Windows NT
(to network) nt     10.0.0.1
(to firewall)   nt     10.0.1.2

Firewall        fw    10.0.1.1

PPP-setup was not a problem

*****
*  1.*
*****
I entered the following values at the prompts: Is that correct?
Default route: router-adress ISP (eunet-gw.mydomain.xx)
Primary nameserver: DNS 1 from ISP

*****
*  2.*
*****
The following resolv.conf was created: (What is the meaning of this
file?? Where is doc??)
search mydomain.xx
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (DNS 1 from ISP)
lookup file bind                                                    ==>
what means that???

*****
*  3.*
*****
I want to use x-window. I installed the packages: xserv26.tar.gz
xbase26.tar.gz
When I try to start x-windows with xdm there is no error message like
command not found. But it isn't starting up.
How to configure?

Thank you very much
Best regards
Andreas

2. Networking for newbie

3. Network setup problem with Redhat 6.1 -- "network unreachable"

4. Q:Unix cmd to get system info

5. Network setup - How to add network support after install

6. cloning unix harddisk of different size

7. Network setup if no network...

8. SCO Foxpro 2.6 for Unix mouse driver?

9. network problem - local network setup

10. Linux Network setup for Nt4 network

11. Network Setup - Linux & Win 95

12. Help... Network Setup...

13. R5 Installation Trouble: Networking Setup