AIC 7890 RedHat 6.0 Problem

Post by Max » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Dear all,

I have problem when I tired to install Redhat 6.0 on a ASUS P2B-DS System.
No matter which installation class that I choose, there will be some
strange code display during the process of "make filesystem".

My system configuration is as follow :

ASUS P2B-DS (AIC 7890 chipset)
IBM 9.1 GB DNES-309170 SISC Drive
Dual PIII450 CPU
256 RAM

I tired to install Rehdat 5.2 and Redaht 6.0 but the problem is the same.
It hang at "make filesystem".

I also tired to set the SISC ID to 0 or 1 and disable the  "Extended BIOS
translation for DOS drives > 1 GByte". But it still doesn't work.

Can anyone give me some help or some insights to make the installation
works?

Thanks in advanced

Regards,
Max

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

1. REDHAT 6.0 wont INSTALL - DELL 410 WORKSTATION w/ SCSI AIC-7890

PLATFORM
========

Yeah, I got a DELL 410 WORKSTATION that has (2) 550MHz processors,
512MB RAM, (2) IBM ULTRASTOR 18GB Drives and a 9GB EIDE drive.  The
SCSI on the motherboard is controlled by ADAPTEC AIC-7890 for the
fast wide stuff (I think they call it SCSI-3/LVD or whatever) and it
also has an ADAPTEC AIC-7880 for the other (2) SCSI cdrom drives, and
a tape drive.  NT4 is installed and see the other disks fine.

PROBLEM
=======

Now I WANT REDHAT 6 Linux on this machine... When I try to install from
cdrom, RH hangs during "Setup SCSI - Scanning Adaptec 2740,2840, 2940 SCSI
bus..."

QUESTION
========

Now what?  I cannot build a new kernel unless I can at least install the
software.  I have install RH6 on many other DELL machine in the past and
have never seen the installation just hang.  Could it be a multi-processor
problem?  Could it be a SCSI driver problem?   How do I work around?
Please help, I am stumped.

--

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)

2. Single Chip Linux?

3. RedHat 5.1 & Adaptec AIC-7890 problem

4. Telnet unix account

5. aic 7890 and aic 7860

6. Locked VT

7. Integrated AIC-7890 + PCI AIC-29160 woes

8. Booting question using free space on a 60GB disk

9. Redhat 5.2 and Asus P2bds using AIC 7890

10. redhat upgrade with adaptec aic 7890

11. Redhat 5.2 and AIC-7890 SCSI

12. AIC-7890 & Installing redhat 5.1

13. Adaptec AIC-7890/60 and RedHat 5.2 boot/install solution