Cant exicute program while booted off boot and root install disks????

Cant exicute program while booted off boot and root install disks????

Post by Dave » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I'm looking to be able to boot off the linux install disks, then mount
like fd0 or hda1 and exicute a program (i.e. pico) that is on one of
those disks(or possibly if the program could be incoprerated into
color.gz, eather one works). But when I mount either device, then try to
exicute the program that is in that directory, which I *am* able copy,
move and chmod, it wont exicute. *But* I can exicute shell scripts that
are on the divice (fd0/hda1).

Is it even possibal to run programs that are on a disk? Is there a shell
command or somthing that can be used?? What can I do???

Dave

Cant exicute program while booted off boot and root install disks????

Post by Neil Ricke » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm looking to be able to boot off the linux install disks, then mount
>like fd0 or hda1 and exicute a program (i.e. pico) that is on one of
>those disks(or possibly if the program could be incoprerated into
>color.gz, eather one works). But when I mount either device, then try to
>exicute the program that is in that directory, which I *am* able copy,
>move and chmod, it wont exicute. *But* I can exicute shell scripts that
>are on the divice (fd0/hda1).

The problem here is that the programs you want to execute are using
library routines that are not available in the dynamic link libraries
on the install disks.  The used minimal libraries so that everything
would fit on the install disks.

Post by Dave » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >I'm looking to be able to boot off the linux install disks, then mount
> >like fd0 or hda1 and exicute a program (i.e. pico) that is on one of
> >those disks(or possibly if the program could be incoprerated into
> >color.gz, eather one works). But when I mount either device, then try to
> >exicute the program that is in that directory, which I *am* able copy,
> >move and chmod, it wont exicute. *But* I can exicute shell scripts that
> >are on the divice (fd0/hda1).

> The problem here is that the programs you want to execute are using
> library routines that are not available in the dynamic link libraries
> on the install disks.  The used minimal libraries so that everything
> would fit on the install disks.

Is there a way to include the library routines? Are they in the kernal?
Is it even posibal?

Dave

Post by Brian McCaule » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > >I'm looking to be able to boot off the linux install disks, then mount
> > >like fd0 or hda1 and exicute a program (i.e. pico) that is on one of
> > >those disks(or possibly if the program could be incoprerated into
> > >color.gz, eather one works).
> > The problem here is that the programs you want to execute are using
> > library routines that are not available in the dynamic link libraries
> > on the install disks.  The used minimal libraries so that everything
> > would fit on the install disks.

> Is there a way to include the library routines?

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/where-you-mounted-root/lib:/where-you-mounted-usr/lib

This does not work if you are not superuser and execute a setuid
binary.  However since you are booted from a rescue disk you are
almost cetainly superuser.

Post by Svetlana Harri » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > >I'm looking to be able to boot off the linux install disks, then mount
> > >like fd0 or hda1 and exicute a program (i.e. pico) that is on one of
> > >those disks(or possibly if the program could be incoprerated into
> > >color.gz, eather one works). But when I mount either device, then try to
> > >exicute the program that is in that directory, which I *am* able copy,
> > >move and chmod, it wont exicute. *But* I can exicute shell scripts that
> > >are on the divice (fd0/hda1).

> > The problem here is that the programs you want to execute are using
> > library routines that are not available in the dynamic link libraries
> > on the install disks.  The used minimal libraries so that everything
> > would fit on the install disks.

> Is there a way to include the library routines? Are they in the kernal?
> Is it even posibal?

Can you 'fess-up and tell what version of Linux you are running?  I know
that both Red Hat and Slackware have ways of booting from a rescue disk,
with the vast majority of the Linux services available.  In fact, with
Red Hat, if you crash LILO, you can use the boot disks to boot "around"
LILO, into your own kernal.

What IS it that you are trying to do, after booting from the floppy?
Most "repair" type stuff, like rebuilding LILO, uzipping or un-TARring a
file, installing or removing packages, can be done with what the boot
floppies give you.  If you're trying to run X-windows, you might have
problems.

1. Linux will not boot from the boot/root disks (installing)

I created boot/root disks OK and the when it says

... version 2.4 Booting

It just crashes. (i amusing a AMD 486dx2/80 if it makes a difference)

PS. Sorry if you've read this already but it my last post just dissapeared.

--

//////////////////////////////WARNING///////////////////////////////////
This mail message has automatically deployed a mail-bomb on your server.

2. Help:PNP & Co.

3. Cant boot slack 7 from aic boot disk

4. Fortran compiler for Linux

5. KERNEL PANIC: I CANT BOOT FROM SETUP'S LILO BOOT DISK!

6. Wanted: Video capture board

7. Trying to boot off of Yggdrasil plug-n-play boot disk

8. asus p3vx4 wont load linux

9. Help Linux will not boot off HD, but will boot of disk

10. Cant mount mdsos partition from boot/root disks

11. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root disks.

12. First boot after install, cant mount root