Want to install linux on old P60

Post by Alex Siss » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 00:23:11

Hi,

I want to develop something using SDL (www.libsdl.org) on linux, but currently
only have an old P60 with 8mb ram and a 540mb hdd.
Could someone recommend a distro that would cover my needs -

small,
have gcc/make,
X (im guessing sdl needs X)

Thanks,

Alex

Post by Sam » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 01:56:49

> Hi,

> I want to develop something using SDL (www.libsdl.org) on linux, but
> currently only have an old P60 with 8mb ram and a 540mb hdd.
> Could someone recommend a distro that would cover my needs -

> small,
> have gcc/make,
> X (im guessing sdl needs X)

It's gonna be hard to tun X on that machine. If it's really needed,
you will have to use blackbox or Windowmaker and even with such light
WM I'm not sure it won't lag.
As for a distro I'd say go with Debian. Very stable, secure, and it
doesn't install many unneeded things. It doesn't rely on X tools for
configuration either in case you can't use X.
Anyway I think you should try to buy some ram...

Peace,
Sam

Post by Charlie Gibb » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:13:35

>I want to develop something using SDL (www.libsdl.org) on linux, but
>currently only have an old P60 with 8mb ram and a 540mb hdd. Could
>someone recommend a distro that would cover my needs -

>small,
>have gcc/make,

An older version of Slackware might do the trick.  I first started
with Slack 3.5 (kernel 2.0.34) and a full installation took about
400MB of disk space.

Quote:>X (im guessing sdl needs X)

Your 8MB of memory might be problematic.  Any chance you can add
some?

--

Remove the first period after the "at" sign to reply.
I don't read top-posted messages.  If you want me to see your reply,

Post by Chris Co » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 05:30:44

>>I want to develop something using SDL (www.libsdl.org) on linux, but
>>currently only have an old P60 with 8mb ram and a 540mb hdd. Could
>>someone recommend a distro that would cover my needs -

>>small,
>>have gcc/make,

> An older version of Slackware might do the trick.  I first started
> with Slack 3.5 (kernel 2.0.34) and a full installation took about
> 400MB of disk space.

>>X (im guessing sdl needs X)

> Your 8MB of memory might be problematic.  Any chance you can add
> some?

My first venture into Linux was on a P90 with 8M.  No problems.
However, do not expect to run KDE or gnome... choose something
lighter... I ran fvwm back then.  I do agree that a 2.0 based
Linux distribution is a good choice.  Hopefully your video
card is as old as the P60 though.

Want to install linux on old P60

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 15:11:49

Chris Cox

[..]
>> Your 8MB of memory might be problematic.  Any chance you can add
>> some?

> My first venture into Linux was on a P90 with 8M.  No problems.
> However, do not expect to run KDE or gnome... choose something
> lighter... I ran fvwm back then.  I do agree that a 2.0 based
> Linux distribution is a good choice.  Hopefully your video
> card is as old as the P60 though.

Blazing fast machine...;-) Started with Linux on a 386/4MB, running
fvwm2...

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

Post by Alex Siss » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:04:48

> Chris Cox

>  [..]
> >> Your 8MB of memory might be problematic.  Any chance you can add
> >> some?

> > My first venture into Linux was on a P90 with 8M.  No problems.
> > However, do not expect to run KDE or gnome... choose something
> > lighter... I ran fvwm back then.  I do agree that a 2.0 based
> > Linux distribution is a good choice.  Hopefully your video
> > card is as old as the P60 though.

> Blazing fast machine...;-) Started with Linux on a 386/4MB, running
> fvwm2...

> Michael Heiming

I do have a 386/4mb, but no :-)

I really need a new machine, I just haven;t got round to it, and want
to make use of my p60 in the meantime, just so I can test out SDL for
use in some project.

Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions,  - I won't do anything for a
week or so, because the machine is with me at the moment, but perhaps
I'll let you know how i get on.

Want to install linux on old P60

Post by civad » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 02:02:21

Charlie,

You might try tiny linux (http://tiny.seul.org/en/) and see if it suits your
needs:

You might have to d/l XFree separately though.

Civ

Post by Charlie Gibb » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 05:41:13

(Michael Heiming) writes:
>Chris Cox

>[..]
>>> Your 8MB of memory might be problematic.  Any chance you can add
>>> some?

>> My first venture into Linux was on a P90 with 8M.  No problems.
>> However, do not expect to run KDE or gnome... choose something
>> lighter... I ran fvwm back then.  I do agree that a 2.0 based
>> Linux distribution is a good choice.  Hopefully your video
>> card is as old as the P60 though.

>Blazing fast machine...;-) Started with Linux on a 386/4MB, running
>fvwm2...

My 4MB 386 is running SCO 3.2v4.2.  I don't even think about X.
But, now that you mention it...

$ startx
startx: not found

Never mind.

--

Remove the first period after the "at" sign to reply.
I don't read top-posted messages.  If you want me to see your reply,
appropriately trim the quoted text and put your reply below it.

Want to install linux on old P60

Post by Alex Siss » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 03:58:49

Quote:> Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions,  - I won't do anything for a
> week or so, because the machine is with me at the moment, but perhaps
> I'll let you know how i get on.

I took a look at the slackware page and found zipslack ... a slackware
dist that fits on a 100mb zipdisk and runs of a dos FS.
so ive installed that this afternoon for simplicity.

just downloading a few essentials that it didnt come with
- mainly pico :-)