Linux Telephony

Post by Ted Troccol » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Using RedHat 4.0 with kernel 2.0.24.

I saw that there was a link on the LDP a while back,
but can't find it now?

Is there telephony for Linux?

If so, is anyone using it?

If so, how is it?

Thanks,
Ted

Linux Telephony

Post by John Gira » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: Is there telephony for Linux?

There are several that I found doing an altavista search on telephony, that
came up with a page listing a bunch for all OS's.  I needed to talk to a
Win3.1 box and my sound card is only 8 bits, so that restricted me to
exactly _one_ choice: Speak Freely (http://www.veryComputer.com/).
There's another one listed in the LSM called *Phone, but it req's a
16-bit card and got bought out by a commerical house which isn't supporting
Linux (the old freeware one is still available though).

: If so, is anyone using it?

I only tested it for a bit.

: If so, how is it?

Fair to good if both boxes have T1 connections or better; lousy, but useable,
with the Win16 box connected at 14400bps.  I think 28.8 would be ok.
Requires a lot of tweaking of compression settings with the 14.4 connection.

: Thanks,
: Ted

good luck!
john

--
"don't listen when you're told about the best days in your life      Spirit of
 a useless old expression, it means passing time until you die."      the West