umount: /dev/hdb: device is busy

Post by Emmanuel Dur » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have just installed the Slackware distribution 2.3 on several PCs with
the kernel 1.2.8.

The CD player works fine (Sony CDU 76E/ATA-PI) except that from time to time
I can not umount it.

There is no application using it, not a single prompt in /cdrom and I can
not umount the CD Rom. The only way I have found to 'sort out' that problem
was to reboot the PC.

Does anybody have a better solution ?
(umount -f is not implemented)

Thanks

--
Emmanuel DUROS               _--_|\      University of Technology, Sydney
                            /      \     School of Electrical Engineering

umount: /dev/hdb: device is busy

Post by Dieter Brau » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> The CD player works fine (Sony CDU 76E/ATA-PI) except that from time to time
> I can not umount it.

> There is no application using it, not a single prompt in /cdrom and I can
> not umount the CD Rom. The only way I have found to 'sort out' that problem
> was to reboot the PC.

Did you try to type "sync" before unmounting the ROM drive? Perhaps you
used it some time earlier and there's still something* around
somewhere (in cache)?

Hope, this helps,
Dieter

Post by Jim Van Zan » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>> The CD player works fine (Sony CDU 76E/ATA-PI) except that from time to time
>> I can not umount it.

Try "fuser -m".
                   - Jim Van Zandt

1. umount: /dev/{device}: device is busy

I seem to be having a weird sporradic problem with umount.  I am
running Linux 0.99PL12 release SLS1.03 on my 486DX/33.  When I mount a
drive - whether it be another harddisk/partition or a floppy - umount
sometimes refuses to let me unmount it, responding with the above
error.  I have to reboot to clear it, and the reboot program notes
that it can't unmount the drive either, but reboots anyway.  (Is that
safe?)  When the system comes back up, the drive is unmounted.

The man pages say that the error is caused by some process using the
files under the mount point or having a wd under the mount point, but
I don't know what processes would be under /mnt (where I typically
mount stuff).

Since it doesn't happen all the time, it's not easy to trace.  Can
someone tell me what's a good way to determine the wd of a process?
Is there anything other than the process-under-mount-point thing that
could be causing the umount problem?  Any help, answers, or
suggestions would be appreciated!

 Brought to you by The Admiral,      | "Fate protects fools, small
   Renengade Time Lord masquerading  |   children, and TARDISes named
  as Commandant of Starfleet Academy |            Enterprise!"

2. recursive directories

3. pl12 - umount: /dev/fd0: device is busy

4. What a user is doing?

5. /dev/ttyS2 (/dev/cua2) reports "device or resource busy" on kernel 2.1.95

6. XFree eats ext2!

7. umount /dev/fd0 busy?

8. Linux sockets problem (closed connections staying open?)

9. halt/umount ->dev busy ???

10. umount-ing /dev/fd0, why is it busy?

11. umount /dev/mcd -> busy

12. "Device is busy" msg from umount...

13. umount: /usr: device busy